What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes truncata highland

Just curious what colors of traps, peristome, lids anyone is experiencing? Anyone has a black one by luck?

Michael

Michael,

There are some black ones out there from seed. I know Shinya Yamada in Japan was lucky enough to have one that turned out to be black. Some of the seed grown plants have turned out rich purple, orange and red.

I've currently got about 20 left. They are from the 43 clones Rob sells and not from seed.  The predominant colour is an orange flush, although I have one with a strengthening red coloration. A few have fairly green pitchers with a yellow and orange striped peristome, and one is almost identical to the lowland variety but with quite a brown peristome.

Old pics, but the current colors are the same.

truncatahl.jpg
truncatahlclose.jpg

One thing that I'd like to know, that I haven't asked Rob, is the provenance of the seed for his plants. Did he collect it from a single female, or was it from numerous females I wonder? My reason for the question is that if it was only from one female, then obviously the genetics permits for all sorts of outcomes depending on the pollinating male. If it is from many females, then colours are likely to be consistent amongst the offspring of any parents.

If anyone knows the answer to this, or Rob if you're reading and have any time to answer, it would be most ellucidating.

Hamish

Nice pictures and glad to hear that there are people out there who has more than just the one. I was fortunate to purchase a few seed grown material, the remainder is the tc material from BE. From among the tc clones, I haveseen a somewhat slight variation in them. Most are red or at least very red peristomes, similar to the ones that were posted by End P, but also a few with some purplish tinges as well as somewhat all green colored forms. Only time will tell.

I too am curious if they were from one or few plants or from many in various locales. From the natural wild photographs on the site, it appears that many forms were discovered and in different growing regions.

I will keep in touch for the true answers to the question regarding plant sources.

MM

Hi
My Truncata H/L is producing its first pitcher as ive not had it long. not sure of the colour but its rate of growth is amazing compared to the L/L form.
Bye for now Julian

Hey there,
I grow a highland truncata (can't seem to keep a lowland one alive, for some odd reason), and I think it's from TC. Anyway, the pitchers take on a slight reddish/orange-ish shading in strong light, and the peristomes darken - though not as red as picured above. My plant has yet to produce trully mature pitcher, though, so I guess I have to wait a little longer to see what the true results will be.

Are these true highlanders or are they intermediates?

Mine looks like my avatar
smile_m_32.gif

They grow in 1700 meters high in the highlands, but it can live in intermediates conditions.
But still itã a highlander.

I should have an highland form of Truncata and I have noticed that when the terrarium temperature reaces the 30 Celsius it stops growing...for this reason I told you that I should have the highland form.
Hearing voices around they told me that the LOWLAND Truncata produces more bigger pitchers than the Highland Form.Is it true?
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - Italy

I'm not sure about that one Mr. Aga. I've seen some photos of some whopping highland pitchers. And, seeing plants in cultivation, larger specimens, they certainly have the potential to rival lowland truncata's size.

Not sure what is large, specifically pitchers or plant size as well. I have a lowland form I got as giant and it has the largest leaves ever, pitchers are also very large, but not as large proportionately as in the highland form.

The highland forms always has traps larger in proportion to their leaves.

Michael

hmmm...large leafes ad the lowland truncata....
let's see how far I will succed to go with my truncata then!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan

Hamish summed it up pretty well with the range on colors.  None of the TC plants are the dark purple/black although some are quite nicely colored red/orange etc.  Same goes for the seed grown plants although there were a few that came out dark colored.  If I recall Rob mentioned the seed was collected from the black/purple plant in the wild.  I am not aware of seed coming from any other female plants.  I didn't specifically ask Rob that however.

This is a flat of seed grown plants.  If I showed you a picture of TC plants it would look similar.
NtruncataHLBE_flatCR.jpg

Here are some of the dark ones (and no I don't have any available)
Small plant still with recently opened pitcher.  it will get more purple/black as it ages some more.
trun3.jpg

Another.. newer pitcher is more tubby in shape but it was just starting to turn color so I used the previous pitcher.
trun1.jpg

And one more..
trun2.jpg

If I was growing them in full sun and feeding less with fertilizer they may turn all dark. Hard to get a good picture as well. The fuzz on them makes them look lighter than they are. It's most noticable on the middle one.

Tony

Hi Tony!
So,at least you succed to reveal me all those stories about various forms of truncata pictchers.So from what I have understand ....there is a green specie of Truncata Lowland and Highland. There is after an orange form and after an highland dark red form,right? I visited your Home Page.
Last question : which sort of truncata does in your experience produce most bigger pitchers?
thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan ITALY

Mr Aga I would say there are more color ranges than that.  There are certainly lowland forms with striped or red peristomes and even some with red coloring on the pitchers.  On the highland type I would say the most common are green pitchers with various amounts of orange/red/purple color on the upper portion with striped or solid colored peristomes.  Some will be nearly all orange or red and even more rare all purple/black.  

As for size I can't really say personally.  Only that I have heard from Rob who described the highland type as quite large, perhaps surpassing the lowland type.  Have you seen the various pictures and information Rob has on his website?

Some quotes from Rob:
"To the best of our knowledge an all-green form is unknown. Finally, the size of the pitchers can exceed that of even lowland Nepenthes truncata, making it one of the largest pitchering of all Nepenthes species, rivaling Nepenthes rajah and Nepenthes merrilliana. "

Regarding the black pitcher clone he found in the wild:
"The photographs on this page were taken 6 years ago when the plant was not yet mature, being only about 1.5m (5 feet) in diameter. "

Tony

Hi Tony
Some great H/L Truncata picture there,not had mine that long but it does grow at a rate of knots,still waiting for its colours to show but alas nots not going to be as dark as those clones
smile_h_32.gif

Bye for now  Julian

Back