What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug remedies/control

Now that summer is getting close, the bug and slug problem will be booming soon. What home cures and remedies do you use?
For slugs, I make that old fashioned corn meal and pennies mixed with water. (hint, make the water solution green-blue first by adding a little salt to the water before adding flour or corn meal) This mixture of dough attracts slugs which come by the hundreds to eat drink and die! Works on snails too!

I also throw old pennies everywhere around the bench back areas where its hard to reach and even under the stepping stones and under wooden bench corners, etc and this works wonders too! Copper is deadly to many invertebrates (Ever read that fish medication where it contains copper and label reads may kill snails, invertebrates, etc.)

As for other pests that is not eaten by my nepenthes. I use the corn meal and even oatmeal DRY mixed with boric acid powder. Mixed together in a low pan kept away from birds, etc.

This is effective in killing roaches, ants, crickets, etc. Plus its safe that when they die, you have a pile of dead insects that is safe and ecxcellent for your pitcher plants!!!

What's your cure-all?

Mike

A great slug catcher that I use is putting some bear into saucers around my collection. It's a handy way of getting rid of beer that has gone a bit flat. For some reason, the go for it and die (presumably) from alcohol poisoning.

I'd love to know how to kill caterpillars, as they are the other serious pest I get. Cockroaches and crickets seem to kamikaze themselves into my khasiana too readily to be a menace. Plus my cats manage to do a good job of keeping the cockroach population at bay.

Caterpillars can be effectively controlled by use of a carbaryl insecticide like Sevin. Get the WP (wettable Powder) form of this to minimize buring from the xylene used in oil based elmusifiers.

There is also some good result from using a larvicide for caterpillars that uses a bacterial spore. Can't recall the name, but works 75% of the time quite well!

Michael

ps, don't the cats get drunk?

Back