What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow light

i have a nep that i've had for a while but i'm just playing with different things to get it to grow better. i have no idea what kind it is b/c i bought it at kroger last september and it hasn't pitchered at all. i live in tx where it's hot and humid, can i put it outside? i have it in a window sill but i don't think it's getting the light it needs. if i keep it in can i use a grow light and what wattage should i use? how far away from the plant should the light be? thanks in advance for your help!
smile.gif

If you keep it inside, you should definately grow it under fluorescent lights if you don't know what kind it is. Certain species and hybrids do well on windowsills, but others do not. I suggest you use some kind of container to keep up humidity and hang a fluorescent fixture above that.

-D. Lybrand

this plant is huge and it has never been in a container. it was in a grocery store in a hanging basket with no other special treatment. so i should use flouresent bulbs and not a grow light? what's the difference? it has done great in the window except no new pitchers. that's the result i'm looking for so i can identify my plant.

I have seen Elgecko's hanging basket Neps. They are doing magnificently well in his kitchen, right in front of glass doors.

Check what kind of hanging basket it is. If it was a basket with plastic hangers and had a well inside the bottom of the pot with a central overflow covered by a clear plastic screen cover, then this sounds like something from Deroos Nursery. if it was in a 6 inch hanging basket, then it could only be N. Ventrata or N. Gentle. If it was in an eight inch hanging basket, then it could be a N. Miranda or Coccinea.

If the leaves were fuzzy, then its guaranteed to be N. Gentle. If the leaves are soft, wide, tapering to a thin thread point, with a fine eye-lash edge leaf, then it is N. Coccinea. If there is a bunch of narrow leaves, very waxy or shiny leaf surfaces, then its N. Ventrata, and if its just a huge leaf, then its N. Miranda, poorly grown in low light.

Have fun playing Plant Detective!

Michael

it's an 8 inch basket and i got it at kroger. it has big shiny leaves that come to kind of a point.
if it's n. miranda it should probably have a light? what watt and how far away should it be?

Back