What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. miranda

I believe there are two forms of N. Miranda in circulation from tc stock. Anyone else feels this way? I have several plants and they sort of have slightly different characteristics between them.

Anyone else noticed this?

M

Michael,
When I visited the Nepenthes greenhouse at Deroose several years ago, they had a few different clones marked N. maxima. Included was Miranda, but there was also a plant with a narrower leaf and a fatter looking pitcher, and a wavy leaved form that took on more of the maxima characteristics. They were all sectioned off in the greenhouse, so the differences were very apparent, as all were being grown in identical conditions. Everytime we have ordered from them we get the same clone however, the standard Miranda. But I know those other clones were sold and shipped a while ago. Like you mentioned in another post, I believe they have phased out all clones except the current N. Miranda. Gentle and coccinea have also been phased out recently, at least here in the Florida operations.

When I get my new digital camera, I will definitely post some pics. I have a form with very dark almost black-maroon peristome with more of a fine blotchy pitcher, and a more reddish peristome that starts out striped and is wider and broad with very huge pitchers flecked evenly dark red in blotches. Even the plant growth is different, one is more compact and the other is narrow with a wavy edged leaf.
I also have another N. Miranda from another source that is less attractive and somewhat smaller in size. Again a picture is worth a thousand words, so I will post them when I can.

Michael

Only one form has flowered and I believe its the one everyone already has, its a male.

M

Back