What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. argentii

I was told that this species grows best when grown with weeds in its pots. I hear that if moss, ferns, sedges, and grassy weeds are present in its pot, the plant will produce numerous pitchers among them. I grow mine in almost pure LFS and it looks healthy, but no pitchers. Anyone else has this and can express something about it?

Michael

One other interesting point this species has is its tolerant to wind. I grow this plant in a wind tunnel area of my yard where it is always breezy. I sometimes wonder if this is the reason why my plant doesn't pitcher. But the leaves and growth is excellent on this plant.

Anyone grow this in a more terrarium method or houses it with higher humidity?

This is a beautiful species and I wish there were more hybrids with this species!

Michael

I've heard that they grow well in disproportionately massive pots.

It grows well in LFS. Standard HL conditions. Got a new pitcher just opening.

Phill Mann has been successfully growing argentii for ages now, and says that it's quite easy to grow, but there are a couple of tricks. It does like to grow in a very wide pot, as Phill likens its growth habit to strawberry plants. It also likes high humidity. Unfortunately mine died not long after I received it, as Phill's tissue culture plants seem to have a habit of doing. I haven't bothered to replace it, I'm waiting until I can get a more established specimen.

STRAWBERRIES huh???

Maybe I'll put mine in a large strawberry planter, you know, the kind that has pockets on the sides.

When you say wide pots, are they deep or shallow?

I have a plant with a six inch diameter, what size diameter should I grow it in, any suggestions for media?

Thanks for your help. I plan on growing ths species successfully in my warm lowland condition too!

Michael

Wide and shallow should be fine, in habitat it grows in a relatively thin layer of leaf litter in pockets in rock sheets and cliffs. Size of the pot would be relative to the plant, maybe three times the diameter of the plant?

Hamish

Many thanks for the tip. I will implement it immediately!

Thanks again!

michael

Back