What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have attempted to create a list of all the known and currently recognised species of Nepenthes.  Of course this list is by no means complete or even exhaustive, but it does give a rough idea of the number of species known.  Please let me know if I have missed any species out, or if you have any views on the status of some of these plants.  I have included a few as-of-yet undescribed species which are obviously distinct from the others.  I have grouped anamensis, kampotiana, etc. under N. mirabilis and regarded N. smilesii and N. thorelli as two distinct taxa.

1. N. adnata
2. N. alata
3. N. albomarginata
4. N. ampullaria
5. N. angasanensis
6. N. aptera
7. N. argentii
8. N. aristolochioides
9. N. bellii
10. N. benstonei
11. N. bicalcarata
12. N. bongso
13. N. boschiana
14. N. burbidgeae
15. N. burkei
16. N. campanulata
17. N. carunculata
18. N. clipeata
19. N. copelandii
20. N. danseri
21. N. deaniana
22. N. densiflora
23. N. diatas
24. N. distillatoria
25. N. dubia
26. N. edwardsiana
27. N. ephippiata
28. N. eustachya  
29. N. eymae
30. N. faizaliana
31. N. fusca
32. N. glabrata
33. N. glandulifera
34. N. gracilis
35. N. gracillima
36. N. gymnamphora
37. N. hamata
38. N. hirsuta
39. N. hurrelliana
40. N. inermis
41. N. insignis
42. N. izumiae
43. N. jacquelineae
44. N. khasiana
45. N. klossii
46. N. lamii
47. N. lavicola
48. N. longifolia
49. N. lowii
50. N. macfarlanei
51. N. macrophylla
52. N. macrovulgaris
53. N. madagascariensis
54. N. mapuluensis
55. N. masoalensis
56. N. maxima
57. N. merrilliana
58. N. mikei
59. N. mindanaoensis
60. N. mira
61. N. mirabilis
62. N. mollis
63. N. muluensis
64. N. murudensis
65. N. neoguineensis
66. N. northiana
67. N. ovata
68. N. paniculata
69. N. papuana
70. N. pectinata
71. N. pervillei
72. N. petiolata
73. N. philippinensis
74. N. pilosa
75. N. platychila
76. N. rafflesiana
77. N. rajah
78. N. ramispina
79. N. reinwardtiana
80. N. rhombicaulis
81. N. rowanae
82. N. sanguinea
83. N. saranganiensis
84. N. sibuyanensis
85. N. singalana
86. N. smilesii
87. N. sp. 1 (Borneo Exotics)
88. N. sp. 2 (Borneo Exotics)
89. N. sp. 1 “Doorman’s Top”
90. N. sp. 2 “Doorman’s Top”
91. N. sp. A (Gunung Mulu National Park)
92. N. sp. B (Gunung Lumarku)
93. N. sp. Kemiri
94. N. sp. nov. Sumatra
95. N. sp. Palawan 1
96. N. sp. Palawan 3
97. N. sp. viking
98. N. spathulata
99. N. spectabilis
100. N. stenophylla
101. N. sumatrana
102. N. talangensis
103. N. tentaculata
104. N. tenuis
105. N. thorelii
106. N. tobaica
107. N. tomoriana
108. N. treubiana
109. N. truncata
110. N. veitchii
111. N. ventricosa
112. N. vieillardii
113. N. villosa
114. N. vogelii

So that gives a total of 114 species.  No doubt there are many more yet to be discovered (with a lot of other undescribed species in cultivation), but these are the ones that I am aware of.  Perhaps this list can be modified when new species are discovered or taxonomic revisions made.  Or maybe someone could help me expand it with names of forms and variants?

Thanks,
Nep_grower.

Bob Z's site lists many var. of species which may or maynot be some species you denoted.

i do believe N. carunculata and N. bongso are one in the same.

Well, Wistuba seems to consider them to be two separate species, and from the photos I've seen they look quite different (similar to how N. diatas, N. densiflora, N. sp. Kemiri, N. singalana, etc. are all related).  Anyone else have any views on the N. bongso/carunculata classification?

Comparing various photos of N. bongso in the wild with those of N. carunculata, I think that the N. bongso sold by MT might be N. carunculata var. robusta (as suggested by Geoff Mansell).

Nep G's N. carunculata and my N. bongso are of similar size and look quite abit alike. ive seen greater diferances in the various N. mirabilis varieties

N. bongso are one and the saem as carunculata var. robusta according to herbarium specimens (possibly NYBG) and it is known. I do agree that "normal" carunculata is not the same but being how Bob Z does not list it (or does not consider it) I only have herbarium specimens to go on (I will check though).

Perhaps N. bongso and N. carunculata are synonymous based on herbarium specimens, but the plant commonly known as N. carunculata is yet another species? Or are the differences between the two plants not sufficient to classify them as separate species?

I feel that they would be significant enough but as far as I know no living specimens of N. carunculata are in cultavation or perhaps were never documented.

Great undertaking in naming all the known species. Now who has them all? or the highest count?

I'd put money on Jeff Shafer having the highest number. Some of the German (J.Marabini for one) and Dutch collectors would be on par as well, I'd say.

Looking at the list I would say that all the species listed are quite easily available except for about 8.  Anyone can acquire practically all the species, just a case of money and space.

Growing them well on the other hand...

According to Dr Cheek at Kew, anamensis and smilesii are synonyms, and is not the same as mirabilis, which is a seperate species. I would beg to differ with you on kampotiana. Our plant has far more similarities to anamensis(same thing as real smilesii-not the horticultural variety of mirabilis), or Thai thorelii than to mirabilis.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 27 2005,2:42)]Bob Z's site lists many var. of species which may or maynot be some species you denoted.
As I mention in my Photo Finder index page, I have generally used the classification and synonyms found in the ICPS database. Taxonomists will always differ and argue about classification so long as species is determined by what the plant looks like (species A has 3 hairs; while Species B has 7 hairs). Perhaps when genetic analysis becomes more common, a more definitive classification system will evolve.

Back