What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor ventricosa

It hasn't made any growth progress for a few months, so I wondered what was wrong. I thought that it was because of wrong media and poor drainage (I had it in 60%/40% peat and perlite). I took it out of the dirt, and everything that was below the soil was brown and dead. I cut off all the dead things, made some vertical slits at the bottom of the stem, and stuck the thing in distilled water, hoping it would root. Any other suggestions? I don't have any rooting powder or anything.

Maybe give it a little soak in some Superthrive, or slit it again and treat it with rooting hormone if you can go get some. Otherwise, I really don't know what to tell you. You might try rooting it in straight perlite. Check out the Nep FAQ on Barry Rice's page, maybe you can get some ideas there.
Best luck,
~Joe

I always have used equal parts peat moss, perlite, and LFS when I root my neps.
I never tried it completely submerged in water. I would be a little worried about that.
Good luck.

I hate to sound like an rear, but here goes any way.

Its a relatively inexpensive plant, its available almost anywhere, and for all that trouble of trying to reroot it, buy the perfect rooting powder, soil media, growth chamber, distilled water, special hormone fertilizer, etc. etc. etc. I would just dump the stick and get another plant. The prices of those have dropped considerably and you clould probably even find it a Lowe's or Home Depot and get a huge plant (from which you can make a dozen cuttings, but why would anyone want a dozen ventricosa to begin with) for probably less than what you'd end up spending to struggle with that stick.

Michael

disclosure:
Just my own personal view. This comment does not reflect the views or position of members of this Forum and it is solely mentioned for a different point of view.

mannex,

But actually your 3rd link points out that rooting in pure water is too slow.
It is also important to keep the leafs out of the water and the stem downward - roots will always grow at the lowest part of the plant, because the natural rooting hormones (yes, they also exist without buying them in the hardware store
smile.gif
) accumulate there.
Volker

Back