What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing ne[enthes in a "new" pot

For a while I have been using various pond planters from pet stores that were designed for pond plants. these liners are black plastic with sides and bottom composed of this screen-like mesh. these baskets are sturdy for plants and can even be hung using heavy wire pot clips.

They come in an array of sizes from a 4 inch square to a six and nine inch round to squares with shallow and deeper depths. I have also found them available at Lowes in their water garden section and have really enjoyed their use with growing nepenthes. These baskets are also excellent to soak into a cat litter box with some nutrient solution and let stand for a few until the media becomes saturated with little run-off. Then simply hung above the cat litter box to reuse the excess.

Anyone else has tried this new and interesting pot?

M

I have some pics of these pond planters. They are excellent as they allow water to drain from any angle, side or bottom of the pot. they come in square to rounds in several sizes.
Check these out:
See the pot in back
Nepenthes_3_001.jpg

Get them at pet stores.

M

Yes, I grow a few different neps in these mesh pots and they have really worked well.

I agree. I love 'em. But be careful of the smaller ones as they dry out a lot faster than regular pots. I'd go with one gallon as a minimum.

Capslock

I see these pots have transitioned to CP's now. Many people have been using these to plant Orchids in for years. Excelent drainage and excelent air movement. They do dry out fast for the small ones though. Just a little slower than a mounted orchid would.

Back