What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albomarginata

Can It be stressed of to high night temps...my day temps are 30C and my night temps are 23-25C
And it was producing a nice and red picher but now it has just stopped..

Yes I have watered them today
biggrin.gif
so I will see if it starts growing again
biggrin.gif

Yes, our nights are not lower than 23C and the albomarginatas always grow well. Pitchers last long, too.
Volker

Have you tried a diet of termites instead of koi pellets, meal worms and or crickets?

Termites have a very high protein source.

The albos here even in my warm climate seems to be doing nothing special any way.

maybe its too warm for them now!

M

Some forms of albomarginata are known not to tolerate very warm conditions, in particular the green varieties. Jeff Shafer notes this on his website, and I've found the same thing with my varieties - my spotte variety will suffer from both cold and hot weather more than my var rubra. Intermediate conditions are often best for this species.

My albos including the green spotted (Kuching?) and the red Penang form grow without problems in our daily heat (Manila!) - the green one performing even better. Both forms are not shy to pitcher at all, even with our low humidity and high winds. While growing speed is very good, the size increase per leaf/pitcher could be better compared to other species.
They are catching termites themselves, once the pitcher opens. It all happens very fast
smile_m_32.gif

Volker

OK...Mine is "penang Red" so i dont know about the temps to that...But I got it 3 weeks ago and it started to produce a pitcher almost emedielty but now it has stopped..the pitcher didnt open...

Hello,

I've got an N. albomarginata (Kuching Spotted) from Malesiana Tropicals since 7 month, it's growing but very slowly.
I've got warm temperature, between 25 and 30 all the year long. My other nep grow well and quick, but this nep not a lot.
Maybe to much humidity in the soil.

I dont think its the soil...Because I use a very airy soil to all my Neps...And I have to water it 3 times a week..

Some of the Albomarginata i saw near Kuching grew on a very dry soil, with full sun.

Yes I know..I have read somewhere that the rootsystem gets stronger that way..so its pretty dry..

Hmm...I see "dry" in quite a few posts...

I used to grow mine in ideal lowland conditions, next to flourishing N.rafflesiana, N.ampullaria, N.gracilis and N.bicalcarata. No pitcher, for coming 2 years!

Then I decided to condemn it to top corner of my plant rack where it happens to be empty. That place is windy and WHAM! the plant pitchered in less than a week! It has got two beautiful pitchers now, going on to the third. I also noticed that during rainy season, the tip of the tendril will die off before the pitcher could form.

So, keep it high and dry!  
smile.gif
 In fact, I just picked it up last night 'cos it got blown off the rack by the wind.  
smile_n_32.gif

A pix of the shy guy...
albo_pitcher1_rs.jpg

Cindy,
Your story sounds like what happened to us. We had our albo rubra back in the bical corner with the northiana, sumatrana...you get the picture. It was growing painfully slow and stopped pitchering during summer. Our albo-Penangs from MT were growing like weeds in a brighter spot with a more open mix. We repotted the rubra into our "cypress mulch mix" described in another thread, in a clay pot. The pitchers have doubled in size and the plant is now growing much quicker. The clay pot not only cools the roots, but dries out faster. We've found a few Neps do better for us in clay pots with the more rapid drying out.

HHMMM
Will have to try my albo,s a little dryer to see if there is any difference they seem to have stopped doing anything at the mo.They are in pure LFS so might have to try a different mix.
Cindy
That albo looks very nice
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

mine hasn't been talking to your neps has it?

it's in an ultra-lowland terrarium, very wet, pure lfs, very hot.

does great for me and each leaf/pitcher grows exponentially.

Yes I grow mine with 30C day and 25C night...Its soil is based of Live spahnum moss,peat,perlit...
humidity is 75-80%

It had nothing to do with the temps....I pulled it out of its medium this morning and I noticed fungi on the roots..What should I do???
I repotted it in a little drier mix with more perlit...
What can I do more?

You shouldn't just leave the fungus on there. Have you already treated/removed it? I'd suggest a light fungicide if it isn't too bad. Maybe remove the fungus or the affected roots? Be careful about root removal, however, and ask someone about that before trying it.

-D. Lybrand

Back