What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep update....

Here is a small terrarium grown Nep.  I've had it for about 6 months now and it's been a prolific pitcherer.  It was labled N. alata, and some when I got it that it was most likely N x tobaico.  Now that it has more mature pitchers with some coloring, I'm guessing N x ventrata.

Jason

0703nep.jpg

Swear on my mother that that is a N. ventricosa x khasiana. Rest assured
smile_m_32.gif

Im with LOL on this one its a Khasiana x venricosa for sure.
Bye for now Julian

I can't argue. I'm very much a neophyte when it comes to Nepenthes. I'm just happy to have kept it alive and healthy for the 6 months I've had it. When should I repot it? It's in a 4 inch pot and the plant is probably 12 to 14 inches tall with 3 to 4 inch pitchers. Also, I've never repotted a Nep. Is it best just to take the entire root ball with media and place it in a larger pot, or should I rinse all of the old media off of the roots.

Thanks,

JJ

I dont really know when to repot so I would like to hear from the others to..
When you repot you should flush the soil off the roots under water..DO NOT DAMAGE THE ROOTS.
Then you just gently repot it like ordanary plants..
But dont make the soil to compact...It needs to be airy..

It looks just like my once unknown nep that Dave of Dangerous Plants ID'd in person as N. khasiana x ventricosa.

It's my most robust and fastest growing nep. The more I hack it back, the more it comes back with full force! It actually pushed open the 1/4 inch thick glass lid of one of my terrariums. I had a few plants from cuttings at one point and they do grow and pitcher outside of the terrarium - but it does not grow as robust or lush as in the tank.

Here is a link to where you can download a Nep Repotting PDF document:

NECPS Documents

i have one that looks EXACTLY like yours that I purchased from a local nursery. I definitely don't want to argue with any of the experts on this forum, but my pot was labeled Tobaica and is growing like CRAZY in my terrarium. Yours looks awesome, my pitchers are just a little smaller, but have the exact same shape, and light red coloration around the midsection.

I'll be the party pooper! But this can no way be N. khasiana. The plant grows more like a ventricosa than a khasiana. If this plant is labeled N. tobaica, then perhaps it is N. tobaica x ventricosa. Even the midsection looks a little like a ventricosa, plus the mottling and peristome shape/color seems all to close to ventricosa. Even the plant has an appearance to N. ventricosa, leaves narrow like a ventricosa, and not wide as in khasiana. Pitchers of khasiana tends to be taller, more elongate, and their lids look different. Khasianas tend to quickly vine and produce uppers which look the same as the lowers. This plant appears to produce two kinds of pitchers.

M

If it was a large plant from a garden/home center then odds are it is a Deroose plant.  Their N. alata are N. Ventrata, the N. tobaica are a cross with N. tobaica and probably N. khasiana and ventricosa.  

You mention it was labelled as N. alata.  Perhaps it was mislabelled.  It sure looks more like the N. tobaica thing they produce as opposed to the N. Ventrata.  Cultural condtions however can make a big difference, compounding the problem of comparing to other peoples plants.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Is it best just to take the entire root ball with media and place it in a larger pot, or should I rinse all of the old media off of the roots.
I would take the whole root ball and put it in a bigger pot taking care not to disturb the roots. The plant will recover from transplanting faster. If you rinse all the old soil off the roots the plant might go into shock and it will take months to recover.

Back