What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about n. alata

I picked one up yesterday at Lowe's.

Websites say it grows at altitudes of 800m - 2000m.

It is uniformly classed as a highland, or are there genetic forms that are classed as 'intermediate' (i.e. -- if they're from the 800m region)?

If this is from a big tissue-culture lab, can anybody tell me what its likely characteristics are?

N. alata has lowland and highland forms.  The lowland forms are much less common and from my experience less tolerant of cold weather than the highland forms are of warm weather.

I can also take an educated guess here and say that your 'N. alata' is most likely N. Ventrata from Deroose.  They have been growing and selling to nurseries/homecenters, large N. Ventrata labelled as N. alata for about 25years now.

On the lowland/intermediate/highland deal.. generally plants from below 1000m are considered lowland.  Plants above 1000m highland.  Your right though, there is not some magic line, and plants in the 1000 -1500m range are usually happy as somewhere more moderate between lowland/highland.

Tony

Maybe pics would help?

P7050006.JPG

P7050008.JPG

Comparing these to pics online, I'd wager it IS, indeed N. ventrata, not N. alata.

Oh, well, I didn't have either of them, so I'm still happy to have it.

ventrata

Yep, and an undeniably good-looking one, too!

Capslock

nice looking ventrata :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ July 05 2005,6:31)]Yep, and an undeniably good-looking one, too!

Capslock
Yes, it is nice-looking.  $12 at Lowe's.

theres an old saying "When it doubt, it's probably a Ventrata."

i find it pretty accurate
smile.gif

I have a similar one from the same growers, but yours is in a bigger pot. LOL! I put it in a windowsill at work, and now it's about a four-foot vine. Nice plants! I didn't even repot it.

Capslock

I have that same exact plant...same label and everything! I got it from Kennedy's Nursery in Massachussets last summer. It grew like a weed last summer on my deck. Mine is very finicky regarding humidity. It needs to be at least 70% to pitcher...the higher the better.

Capslock, how's yours doing in the windowsill? I'm going to need to do that around November, there's no way that thing will fit in my terrarium.

It's doing pretty well considering it's a tinted window. Lots of growth, just a few pitchers. If I could get some more light on it that would be good. I might try to rig up something. It would be fine if the window was clear. It seems healthy enough though, it grows like a weed. Humidity is good here.

Capslock

YAY I win! I guessed its ID without a picture or anything lol

Tony

Back