What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep propogation idea

I had this idea for nep propogation. Don't know if it'll work or not, but I think i'm going to try it, on a few plants, at least. You know how if you take cuttings of or prune neps, they'll send up basal shoots and send out new growth from the nodes along the vine? Well, what would happen if you didn't cut the vine all the way through, but just made an incision? My N. sanguinea sort of exhibits this. The growth point was bruised, during shipping, but it kept growing, and it also send out new growth from the node just below the growth point. Now, a few years later, grows in a Y-shape due to the dual growth points from one stem. I know a method similar to this has been implemented with notching Sarracenia rhizomes, but I've never heard of it being used on Neps. What do you all think?

you mean like air layering?

I believe Slack mentioned vine notching in his books.

really? I really must get around to reading those some day...

JLAP- yeh, I guess it is rather like air layering, but a little different. At least, the way I was thinking of going about it is. However, like I said, I haven't tried this yet, so it may end up doing air layering. I'll see what happens.

I think it would work, but only on reasonably large plants. Smaller ones can grow as a Y plant (I had a Y plant w/ a 6" leafspan) but I think only plants with a thick vine would still grow the main stem, as well as produce a second.

-D. Lybrand

yeah it is mentioned in Some books. IF the climbing stem has been broken up to halfway acros the part above can still grow due to the number of capillaris that are still functioning so you will not see roots.

dunno if it helps but i snap off the growth point on a vine and then the nodes sprout. i pot em up later.

What about snapping the herd? Is that mentioned by anyone?

Typically snapping of the herd will cause a swelling which allows more nutrient to be carried as well as inducing branching.

Joe

Must be careful about airborne diseases as well. freshly cut tissue exposed to a humid environment could pose a threat to the "experiment".

regarding the outgrowth of shoots, auxin is a plant hormone that is produced in the meristem or growing tip, in other words the youngest leaves of plants. Now, besides inducing root growth (when used in rooting powder), auxin also inhibits the development of axillary buds, which is where shoots grow out from when you prune. Therefore the plant does not produce offshoots or basal shoots when it is still in rossette form as the auxin is sent down the stem from the youngest leaf. However, when the Nep begins to vine, hte auxin no longer has an effect lower down and that is the reason for basal shoots.
Now going into the propagation Point Of View, when you do a cutting, the growth tip is gone and this releases dormancy of the axillary buds as they are no longer suppressed. If you want more basal shoots, you can cut off the leaf without hurting the stem if I am not wrong, so as to allow shoot growth without cutting of the main stem. I do not know about notching or such and would certainly like to find out more, but just to provide some info here...Cytokinins are another group of hormones that releases dormancy in axillary bud and allows shoots to develop. If you can get your hands on these, do give your Neps a try!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 07 2005,12:26)]What about snapping the herd? Is that mentioned by anyone?

Typically snapping of the herd will cause a swelling which allows more nutrient to be carried as well as inducing branching.

Joe
you have to tell me now, what is that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you want more basal shoots, you can cut off the leaf without hurting the stem if I am not wrong, so as to allow shoot growth without cutting of the main stem.

Wow, that is a great idea! Has this been proven to work? This would be great if it does, because it could form basil shoots on plants that only make good lower pitchers, and without the risk of cutting the main stem. Someone should try this as soon as possible
blues.gif

Back