What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mealy bugs and nepenthes

Geese, I dont know what crickets eat.  All I know is that I've seen crickets performing acts of cannibalism quite frequently, so I thought they might eat other bugs too.  Just an observation...
blues.gif

I've seen whitefly and plenty of it and to me, Capslock doesn't have whitefly. Whitefly lays their eggs underneath the leaves. They also form those "spirally, circular" white lines on the underside of the leaf. That's the first clue for whitefly. Then when the infestation gets worse, you get the white silky threads that look like spider webs. The eggs are usually in the middle of the cobweb mess under the leaf.

As for mealy bug, I've only seen them infest my Sarracenias in the crowns. I've never seen little white "eggs" like Caplock's on the leaves. When my orchids get mealybug, I always see the baby guys, but never those white eggs so I have no idea what Capslock has on his leaves.

Just my take on those lovely little parasitic gems we have here in So. Cal!!

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Whatever this is neps, I think it is mainly, or only, found in southern CA.

No, I got some in a shipment of neps from Hawaii, lol.

And from all this duscussion, it's still a mystery pest. I think the "alien" theory is still leading.

I think the closest guess is whitefly, as there are no mealy bugs around (I know what those look like.) But as Joel points out, I don't get have some of the telltale signs.

Again, WHAT ARE THESE FOUL BEASTS???

Capslock
confused.gif

Are they still on there? If you haven't taken them off yet, just wait 'til they hatch. I bet you'll recognize them then! (Yes, I still think they're mealybugs.)

-D. Lybrand

LOL! Maybe so, but I've had 'em for over a year on several plants and never seen a mealybug! I'm open to any possibility, however, since nothing seems to make sense.

Capslock

Max,
Clean the whitefly off as we described and you won't have the problem anymore.

Whitefly looks exactly as pictured in your photo. Our Florida Dept of Agriculture inspector has had many discussions with us regarding those little beasts and has given us the same instructions to eliminate them which we passed on to you. Yes, they hide on the undersides of leaves, but they can also be on the top and along the stems, and the tendrils and pitchers. We would take a pic of them, but (he said smugly) we have the problem under control.

I will do that, Trent. I've got two plants that are hit pretty bad, and another three that I've seen them on, but are not bad. Tomorrow or Wednesday, they go for good. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Capslock

I'm with you on that one buddy
biggrin.gif
!

Ok, I think I figured out what they are. I think I've seen theese on palm trees outside my apartment. It appears, that they are indeed a type of whitefly, but not the typical. Theese flies are very tiny, and would probably be passed off as specs of dust. Very tiny. This is why we dont see the adults. The indeed lay there eggs in white cases which build up on the leaves. They dont seem to cause much harm to the plant itself, although the infected organs will eventualy shows minor symptoms. The problem with theese is that their egg cases become very unslightly. The trees around here are so badly infected, thick layers of white crud can be seen beneath and ontop of the leaves. It's disgusting. I now know that this pest should be treated as other species of whitefly. Remember, the adults are very tiny, and look like mere specs of dust floating in the air. MYSTERY SOLVED
blues.gif
biggrin.gif

mealy bugs are generally white fuzzy bugs with no wings and can move but cant fly, whiteflies are smaller and can fly, I have had infestations of both and Insecticide works best for my plants, which are usually sarracenia

Hello everyone,

I'm yet to have a insects problem on a healthy Nepenthes, but a cutting or newly arrived plants that took shipping a little ruff seem to attract a whole slue of little beasties. I have try just about everything including...
Beneficial insects such as...

Aphidius colemani
Aphidoletes aphidimyza
Hippodamia convergens
Chrysopa carnea
Phytoseiulus persimilis
Encarsia formosa
Tenodera aridifolia sinensis

I tried a few different soaps with mix success.
A stream of water did not really do a who lot for me.
Submerged the plant in water for a few day, seemed to rot the plant more then anything.
Vinegar did ok, and a whole bunch of other home remedies and other insecticides that aren't worth repeating.

The Encarsia formosa really did a pretty good job with the white fly.

The larger insects got eaten by the plants to fast for them to do any good.

So far the only thing that has really work for me is this stuff called Hi-Yield Diazinon 4E Insect Spray. Now this stuff is very strong I only need to use about 2 to 3 applications a year. Whenever I use it I wear a painters mask and gloves. After I'm done spraying I wont go in the GH for the rest of the day. I just mix it in a spray bottle and spray it on anything that looks unusual. I have used it on every type of CP and it does great on everything but Pings, it burns the leaves.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Diazinon is outlawed in most cities. Its amazing you still have it! I think you should try Merit WP as i get excellent results for all my sucking pest problem. It works on contact and is systemic.

Michael

Okay! If we're getting into the nuclear phase here's what I use. Ortho Systemic insect Killer. I mix it per instructions which is 3 tblspoons per gallon of water. That stuff kills whitefly, mealybug, aphids, and anything else that I feel like anihilating. It's good with orchids too because it doesn't ruin the flower. I love the stuff. Put it in a spray bottle and have at it!! So far the stuff has had no ill-effect on any of my Neps or Sarracenias. Good stuff!

Joel

I'd like to rent a hellicopter, and start spraying that stuff on some of the palm trees out here. The infestations are really disgusting. Hay neps, where do you get the ortho from? Do they have it at lowes or home depot? Thanks

lol,

Yeah, it's pretty much available at any home center or nursery. Excellent stuff. I too had a neighbor with hibiscus plants and banana trees that were dripping with whitefly. They would always find their way to my plants. However the flies only attacked my plumeria and salvias. Never my CPs. I kept up on spraying off the eggs with the hose and using the chemicals as sparingly as possible. For the most part it got rid of them. Once you know what plants these guys attack, then be vigilant and your problem should go away or at least be controlled.

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Diazinon is great, but it has been removed from shelves in Florida. I still have a secret stash that I use on outdoor plants like Brugmansia, Alocasia, Coleus.
we pot drench the Sarracenia a few times a year with Orthene WP. I use about half a tablespoon to the gallon and it kills all pests. Unfortunately, it stinks. Everything, including the greenhouse: the Neps, orchids, Hoyas, forked sundews and my pet Pinguicula gigantea, get Talstar sprayed every six weeks.

Yea, theese things seem to absolutely love truncata and it's hybrids. Most likely because of the thick leaves.

Back