What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snail problem!

My N.gracilis has been growing very well for the last two years. In fact, last week I even took some cuttings from it; such was its fast growth.

Today, when I checked the plant, it was close to dead. There were some green areas left but these were near the newer growth. Then I saw a big snail crawling up the bamboo stick I had stuck into the soil.

In the pot next to the gracilis, there were 2 other snails. Argh. Fortunately, my Ventrata still looks healthy.

I've since taken all the snails away. Question is how I can get my gracilis alive again. The whole plant is brown, except for the ends of the newer vines. Could the problem also stem from me cutting a large part of the plant away?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ebeyonder, could you post a picture?

Hello Cindy, I will post a pic tomorrow when it gets brighter. I've since found one green vine that appears to be alive, but that particular vine hasn't been pitchering for a long time.

Another strange thing is that the older vines have started growing shoots off their growth nodes (if that is the correct term). At first I thought these were flowers but upon checking some photos of flowers, these looked more like basal shoots!

Again, a pic tmrw shld clear things up.

The shoots on the growth nodes are because of the cuttings. When you cut a vine, it resumes growth from one or more of the growth nodes.

As for the snail damage, even if the main plant dies, its genetic identical will live on in the cuttings.

-D. Lybrand

I have my large N. eymae plants out in the garden. I have always seen snail shells and sometimes slug remains in the pitcher fluids. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? Pitchers are usually 50% or more filled with digested snail shells of several species.

This is N. eymae dark form.
N_014.jpg

A close up of a small snail under the lid
N_013.jpg
Also note the baby slug at the peristome level.

The red N. eymaes love slugs.
Nepenthes_3_028.jpg

Otherwise the leaves are unharmed by slugs on this species!

M

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RainforestGuy @ Aug. 05 2005,1:51)]I have my large N. eymae plants out in the garden.  I have always seen snail shells and sometimes slug remains in the pitcher fluids.  Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?  Pitchers are usually 50% or more filled with digested snail shells of several species.  

This is N. eymae dark form.
N_014.jpg

A close up of a small snail under the lid
N_013.jpg
 Also note the baby slug at the peristome level.

The red N. eymaes love slugs.
Nepenthes_3_028.jpg

Otherwise the leaves are unharmed by slugs on this species!

M
Hey, same thing here, my rafflesiana pitchers keep catching snails and I cant stand it! The larger snails rot in the pitcher and it stinks, I end up having to remove it
smile_t_32.gif
or risk putrification or fly maggots!

But problem with snail attacks... no, or atleast not yet.
but dont worry, there are 2 things you can do now:

1. Take down the whole stem and cut it up for planting
- you get many little gracilis, but you have to wait a while

2. Leave it and let it recover
- you get a large plant which has a slightly awkward shape

But 1 thing for sure, gracilis never die!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The red N. eymaes love slugs.

Yer kiddin'!! Now I know where to through the buggers I find marauding through my garden....Eymae food!

Ebeyonder,

I'd leave the plant alone and let the sideshoots develop. I had a rafflesiana that I torched outdoors except for the growing tip. I was going to throw it away, but I moved it to a shady place to see what would happen. Lots of sideshoots have emerged from the nodes of an otherwise dead looking stick. So hang in there and see what happens. I would disturb the plant as least as possible while it is recovering.

I haven't had a problem with snails, but my neps do catch slugs! Surprisingly the slugs don't appear to attack my Neps. Even my tiny TC / seedlings with nice, sweet, baby green leaves have never been destroyed by snails or slugs. The slugs do get into the soil of my VFTS and Sarracenia and do damage to the roots. The slugs seem to hang out in the pitchers because of the moisture and are able to slime up the walls without falling in. Then they come out at night and do whatever slugs do. If I see any I definitely get rid of 'em.

Nice pics Michael as always!

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Does sprinking fine table salt solve the problem as it will "melt" the snails:O

Back