What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft water vs hard water tips

As we know tap water contains all types of pollutants. Lime in tap water results in it being hard water.

Tip 1 - you can soften tap water by pouring water through a
peat filter.

Tip 2 - you can get soft water from your refigerator after
defrosting.

Tip 3 - you all know this one. By collecting rainwater of
course.

I have tried all the above and have found that during the hot summers when there is not much rain, collecting the ice from the refrigerator or freezer then allowing it to defrost works great. Bonus is you can flush the accumulating nutrients out of your soil and you don't need a big resevoir for collecting rainwater.

cheers,
C

i dont see why ice would be pure

the ice that forms in the freezer is from water vapor so it is safe. he isnt talking about ice from an ice maker

of course, you need to be one of the 3 people in america that still has a freezer that isnt "frost free"..
I dont think I have seen one of those since about 1972..

but yes, that kind of ice would be safe..
it condenses right out of the air..

Scot

not all frost free freezers work very well at keeping themselves frost free, especially after its several years old or you stuff it to the gills with food or you live in an area with alot of humidity. our freexer is "frost free" but it still needs a manual defrost about very 18-24 months

ohh ok. thought you meant from an ice maker lol.

sure frost would be fine.

duuuuhhh
smile_l_32.gif
am I stupid or what :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tip 1 - you can soften tap water by pouring water through a peat filter.
No you can't, at least not easily. For the tannic acid in peat to have much effect will take several pounds of peat to a bucketful of water and a couple of weeks or so's soaking .
T.

I don't see what the big deal with just using hard water. our local water supply is hard due to percolation of rainwater through lava and then in a well in coral.
Waqter from the tap can produce white calcium deposit formations on pots, sometimes leaves and soil. I have grown all my neps in this condition with no ill effect. Your media is rather acid (if you use peat, LFS, coco chips, composts, leaf mold, etc.) so watering with hard water would somewhat neutralize the effect.

I have not seen any problems with watering with hard water. Has anyone had any effects due to hard water use?

Michael

Back