What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxima...

what altitude does "wavy leaves" grow at???

OK so it could grow fine as a lowland?

Well, intermediate is not lowland.
smile_n_32.gif
Intermediates, I have found to tolerate lowland conditions less, and favor a more mild climate, that of a highland plant. Take N. clipeata for instance, its reported to be a lowland-intermediate, but only grows well and pitchers for me in my highland climate.

We find, in our south Florida climate, that the day temps for intermediates can reach 95F without the plant stressing. What they really need is a night temperature drop, down to 70 F or lower. We pull them through our hot summer nights with an early evening misting-really a wetting down of the leaves. With the sides of the greenhouse open with 70 percent shade cloth, our humid night breezes aids in a slow, all night long evaporation process that cools. It really helps our maxima and ventricosa clones. Wish I could comment from personal experience concerning clipeata-but, alas, we don't have one!

I have maxima 'borone' and maxima 'tlatawiran' in the tropical lowlands and these belong to the best performing Nepenthes. Steady growth, healthy pitchers on every leaf, better than our X Gentle or even ventricosa. Night temps are 75F, day up to 95F
Volker

I for one don't believe in a highland and lowland species separation. I do believe in a "greenhouse" and ultra highland separation group.

In the case of N. maxima. I am also in the same boat as trent and Volker. I live in sunny tropical Hawaii with good success with all of my maxima clones (Tlatawiran, Superba, Dark, Pieriensis, Borone, small form, LHSC, ABG, EP's various alpha clones, etc.) many are large growers with handsome pitchers, and attractive leaves.
I find wavy margins occur on plants that are in bright light conditions. Plant N. maximas in a loose airy potting mix as they grow better in a mix that drains fast and dries quickly.

Michael

Back