What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long?

• Thread starter @nd!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ultra
Just about how long can highlander nep's live without the night temp' drop?

And another question:
what exactly is considered a ultra highlander?

Typical highlanders will grow fine without a major temp drop.

Ultrahighlanders are plants from very high altitudes that require cool day temps (60-70° F) and dramatic (20° F) drops at night. Examples are villosa and rajah.

-D. Lybrand

And what major temp drops do you mean dlybrand?
altidtude range??

In the altitude aspect what is a ultra highland species? like 2000m and higher?

"Typical highlanders will grow fine without a major temp drop."//dlybrand

So what temps can they grow in??

well i know a few like N. ventricosa, N. tobaica, and N. sanguinea grow great in lowland conditions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 14 2005,7:22)]well i know a few like N. ventricosa, N. tobaica, and N. sanguinea grow great in lowland conditions.
perhaps because all 3 of those have lowland forms

D.lybrand, are you sure rajah is an ultrahighlander? Not the last time I checked, its considered a fussy typical highlander that grows slowly

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ July 14 2005,5:37)]"Typical highlanders will grow fine without a major temp drop."//dlybrand

So what temps can they grow in??
I cant tell you in fahrenheit, but if the temperatures dont go below 10 degrees Celcious they will be fine.

i am growing my typical highlanders(bongso, veitchii, the jac hybrid, ect) with high 70's/low 80s during the day and low 60s during the night which isnt hard to do if you like sleeping on the cool side like my wife and i do.

Starman means 40 degrees farenheit.

If rajah isn't an ultrahighlander, what is?

So I understand there is no something strict that makes a nep’ an ultra highlander? And the altitude has no effect because there are some types that need the temp drop more then others such as rajah in comparison to villosa?

@nd, the altitude range in which one finds the neps growing in the wild generally dictates the temperature range they like to grow in.

I know someone posted a chart once about what altitudes constituted what classification (lowland, intermediate, etc)

Some plants are good at adapting to conditions that aren't really indicitive of their natural ranges, and some aren't, so your question would be best asked about a specific species that of "highlanders" in general.

N. rajah is an interesting plant, it grows OK in typical or ultrahighland conditions, its prefers Ultrahighland, but will tolerate typ. climate.

My BIG rajahs grow in day time of 80 degrees and night time of (currently) 75-70 degrees F night. Not so ULTRA high (I live at about 200 feet from sealevel.
Hawaii is very lowland, especially where I am from.

I believe there are two temperature forms. One is greenhouse and the other is ultra highland.
Greenhouse = ventricosa, albomarginata, veitchii, rajah, burbidgeae, ampullaria, maxima, tobaica, bicalcarata, etc.

Michael

Back