What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep to grow outside in ga

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone.  As alot know already I haven't been growin CP's for very long, but the plants that got me interested were Nep and so far I have 2 of them.  One is a NoID I recieved from my orchid society and it just opened it first pitcher for me today I will be posting a picture of it soon for a hopeful identification, but may leave it Noid since it came that way.  The other is names, but its suposed to be orange and so far everything is green even the pitchers.  I don't have the name at the moment since I am at work.  I know these two grow outside during the summer and will move to GH for winter, but I was wondering if there was anymore I can grow down here in GA during the summer?  There have been alot here with nice big pitcher I have seen with great color and great looking openings witht he teath looking things.  Not sure what they are called, but anyways I would love to eventualy get cuttings or something of those fancy nep, but I duno what I should be looking for.  I don't want to get something that I have to build a special tank for at the moment.  Thanks everyone.

I guess I should say we get pretty hot normaly at time over 100, but nothing like that this year. Just in the 90's and normaly humid. You burst into a roring sweat after stepping outside. Humidity normaly 70 to 90 % I would guess.

Give us some idea of the temperature ranges you're encountering.

Also what orchid genera do you grow well. This could also tell us what kind of temperature advices you are encountering.

Michael

Hey Josh,

I am in Atlanta and I am successfully growing the following outside:

N. faizaliana
N. veitchii “Stripped peristome; lowland”
N. clipeata
N. rafflensia “Singapoe Giant“
N. spathulata
N. cv 'Predator'
N. cv ‘Effulgent Koto’
N. cv 'Red Leopard'
N. (thorellii x superba-mixta) x albomarginata
N. (tobica x ovata) x veitchii

Most lowlanders and intermediates seem to grow just fine for me outdoors during the warm months. In the winter they take up the windowsills here at the lab.

Sweet I will have to copy that list Pyro Thanks and start with that. Micheal everything I am currently growing can take temps well into the 90's. The ones that can't I leave in the GH were fans help cool things, but its still gets into the 90 on hot days. I really have only been growing orchids for about 2 and a half years if I had to guess. Many things are just now getting set in and realy growing. I have had alot of flowers here lately so things are getting better. My biggest problem was not enough light being afraid to burn and such, but now I have learned. Temps during the summer easily get into high 90's low 100's, and humid as all get out. I have a bench with a latus top that I have the two Nep I have growing amongst the chids. I built my GH this winter when the tree had no leaves and didn't take into consideration that it would be full of leaves during the summer and I went and bought 50% shade cloth:O to put over it. Well its good light for the first half of the day but not after it gets behind the tree so most of the high light orchids are out on the bench for the summer. Of course the cloth will come off this winter. I will think about buying 30% next summer and do something with the 50%. I know thats to much info but there you have it. temps get up into the mid to high 90 on a regular and in the 70's at night. Real humid.

Pyro I want your plants!! LOL the top ones I looked up were sweet thanks for the info. Now I just have to start collecting. Thanks again. Are there any lowlands with Fangs?
biggrin.gif
The ones with large pitchers are cool too. The ones I have now seem to have small pitchers on them I will take pics tomorrow and post them. I knw they are small plants, but the one that just put out its first pitcher was a cutting from another plant and its still got small pitchers and also unnamed. You will see tomorrow after I get home from school. Thanks again. Pyro your also not to far from me I'm just down I-20 in Augusta. I might talk the wife into going to the ABG this weekend I have been wanting to check out the orchid house and now I know they have CPs too WOO HOO!!!

Yes, there are lowlanders with fangs, namely bicalcarata. However, they are not the teeth like you see on hamata and edwardsiana. They protrude from the back of the lid (actually, they come from the peristome or lip of the pitcher, but that's not important) and there are two of them. I don't grow it myself, but ask someone if your conditions are right.

-D. Lybrand

Try any of the hybrids. N truncata x hamata = Predator. This hybrid of a high and lowland grows like a lowland (I live in Hawaii and it grows like a weed!). Also try N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana if you can find it, it does very well for me.
Also try any of the hybrids that have N. lowii in it. N. lowii x truncata grows very well for my warm conditions, but also like the lowii x ventricosa as well.
Anything crossed with lowland truncata grows well in warmer climates.
The key here is watering and watering to cool down plants. Besides root water, the foliage should be misted and fans blowing on warm days. Plant them in a loose mix so that air can also leach out heat from the soil. Remember water has a high heat capacity so be sure water can escape freely and easily from your area.

I tend to mist my plants often during the summer, and even splahs water on them early in the morning before the sun raises the temperatures!
Michael

Hmmmm interesting thanks for the advice. The two I have now I have planted in peat and hangin with the Chids and they get watered with the chids and rain as we also get frequent evening storms that last 30 min or so and then all fine. In fact raing today after I watered. LOL Go figure I will try misting if I get a chance. Thanks again I will generate a list of desired plants when I get home later this afternoon.

Back