What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nep cuttings

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
It seems that all of my ventricosa cuttings are producing only upper pictures. Is this to be expected because the cuttings were all from the viny upper parts of the plant that had only upper pitchers?
And, can I expect to see some lower pitchers form once basal shoots begin to grow?

Yes usually although not always
Basal shoots yes / lateral shoots maybe

Once a plant is vining and making upper pitchers you will only occasionally see lower pitchers. Most often from Basal shoots. They will however grow very quickly and become vining uppers much faster than the orginal plant, if left on the plant. Plants from lateral node cuttings may go into a short period of rosette lower pitcher production also. As may lateral growth that starts just below the cut off point. Even if there are still leaves with upper pitchers below that point. Again they will often quickly outgrow the lower pitcher phase.

Tony

Can a plant be kept in the lower pitcher phase in definitely, and if so, how?

prunimg the plant will create a more compact plant

But will that cause it to keep producing lowers (or begin to produce lowers), or will it just be a compact plant with uppers?

Oh hmm yes with a bit of work. Cutting the growth point off alot so that it never gets to vine much before starting a new lateral growth.
You can also remove basal shoots before they get very large and root them seperately. Without a large established root system and mature leaves from the rest of the plant to draw nurishment from, they will grow much more slowly back to the upper pitcher phase.

Tony

Back