What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes

Hi im growing my nepenthes in a 10 gallon aquarium with a 40 watt compact florecent light bulb and I was thinking of growing it outside in about 30% shade because many peoples neps. look much better when grown outside. So what should I do?

Where do you live? It all depends on what your weather conditions are like.

Capslock

I live in NJ 87-98f everyday in summer. Harsh winters but im bringing them indoors from the cold.

I live in Reading, PA, similar climate. Mine are all outdoors in hanging baskets. Until this week, they were doing fine. A few have reacted. I don't think they like the excessive heat. That is to say that different Neps can tolerate the heat better than others. The ones giving me trouble came from Home Depot and don't know what species they are. Could be ventricosa. You might have the same.

I grow my N. Sanguinea "orange pitchers" outside in part sun. I'm gonna bring it inside to a sunny windowsill in the winter though.

Here's a pic, looks pretty healthy, right?
NSANG722.jpg

i live in tx where it is very hot and humid. today the heat inde is 106. do you think my neps would do ok outside or is the heat to extreme?

106? Gulp! Inside would be best! This is only fit weather for rattlers and scorpions - not humans and CP's!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

yeah that's what i thought. it's so hot my ac in y house runs alllllllllllll day long and if you do dare go outside within 5 min of being there your drenched with sweat due to high humidity. yuck! my bill last month was 295 and thats leaving the ac on 80. but that's tx for ya!
smile_n_32.gif

$295? Our planet's weather is going to h*** . Here in san diego, we almost had some rolling black outs because our power supplier is crap. But I guess that's what you'd expect in cali. Had a tornado here yesturday... in San Diego... purplexes me.

wow, thats crazy. all we have to worry about here in heat stroke and the occasional tornado, but that isn't happin this year we haven't had a decent rain in months. we get a sprinkle here and there when theres "scattered showers". yeah, $295, i can only imagine what this months will be. we didn't hit 100 last month. with heat advisorys everyday our bills will be outragous!
mad.gif

I mean, we've been having 100 degree and up weather down here, with thunderstorms, and tornados, and floods, and somehow fires at the same time
mad.gif
. This is southern cali for ****** sake (I dont know what that word was)! What the he-who is goin on...

Back