What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's too hot!

My N. Sanguinea is outside and it was in full sun but we're having this really random and really stupid-horrible MEGA heat wave here in Pennsylvania! My sanguinea's leaves are starting to curl up so I gave it a ton of cool water and put a large box in front of it to shade it from the sun. Will it be okay right there? I'm fully aware that sanguineas can be grown as windowsill plants should the need arise but I'm afraid to take action without asking first. I'm not even sure how long this heat wave is supposed to last! The windowsill it would go on doesn't get as much light as I would like for my nep and moving it from outside to inside is an insanely high humidity and temperature drop! I just need to know what I should do. Will it be alright with that box in front of it or should I go further and bring it inside?? I REALLY do not want it to die!

I also have a question that I was going to post yesterday but never got to it that has NOTHING to do with what I typed above this message but I thought I'd save some room and combine the threads since it's kind of a simple question. The question is: How old does a nep have to be in order for it to flower? And is that the only way to determine a nep's gender, by it's flower? I've always thought that seeing a nep flower was some sort of miracle, I may be wrong and just sheltered. ^_^;

Anyways, please post ASAP, I want to be quick with my actions to lower the damage rate on my nep if it IS being stalked by death itself!

~Kyle~

Hey, the heat wave is going to break tomorrow, so I wouldn't worry about the sanguinea. Good idea to shade it somewhat for today, though. Mine is outside, too, but it only gets indirect light (under an overhang). It just needs a little more water durring heat waves.

Tomorrow should be in the 70's, though....which is actually rather cool for July. Go figure.

As for how old, I can't really help you there.

Yeah I gave it COMPLETE shade and tons of nice cool water. It's really only supposed to be in the 70s?? That rocks! On weatherburg it says the high will be 82 and the low will be 70...so yeah! AWESOME! Thanks!

Just a note on the usage of cool water.

Make sure it's cool, but not noticeably colder. Refrigerated water or colder (maybe even a bit warmer) could shock the roots in this heat, so you want to make sure that it is cooler, but not so much colder.

Sanguinea should definately be able to deal though. Mine has been getting up to 96f temps lately and it's one of the better growing ones in that heat. The leaves that are curling up may end up dying off, but the rest of the plant should be fine in the next few days with the cooling temps.

Umm, all of the leaves are curling up. o.o; And yeah the water is room temperature. (about 75) which is really cool compared to 95!

You should've brought it inside. Do that now if you haven't. Nepenthes are tough, but they don't haveto suffer
confused.gif

I didn't bring it inside I just gave it A LOT of shade, the temperature has dropped A LOT today so it will be ok. I think it will be a lot cooler now for the rest of the week AT LEAST. x.x

In Hawaii, most people come here to look like red lobsters. So with this in mind..... These photos were taken of some plants in full sun.

N sanguinea against a wall of cement in intense sunlight.
033.jpg

Its getting hotter still!

Michael

In Hawaii, most people come here to look like red lobsters.  So with this in mind..... These photos were taken of some plants in full sun.  

N sanguinea against a wall of cement in intense sunlight.
__010.jpg

Its getting hotter still!

Michael

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ July 27 2005,11:21)]My N. Sanguinea is outside and it was in full sun but we're having this really random and really stupid-horrible MEGA heat wave here in Pennsylvania! My sanguinea's leaves are starting to curl up so I gave it a ton of cool water and put a large box in front of it to shade it from the sun. Will it be okay right there? I'm fully aware that sanguineas can be grown as windowsill plants should the need arise but I'm afraid to take action without asking first. I'm not even sure how long this heat wave is supposed to last! The windowsill it would go on doesn't get as much light as I would like for my nep and moving it from outside to inside is an insanely high humidity and temperature drop! I just need to know what I should do. Will it be alright with that box in front of it or should I go further and bring it inside?? I REALLY do not want it to die!
Kyle, pretty much the same thing happened to me. I have my Neps in 4 different hanging baskets, all in bright shade, underneath the front porch. I decided to move them so that they would have some direct sunlight. That also coincided with our heat wave a couple weeks ago. The sanguinea and a few others suffered. One Nep died and a bunch others had their pitchers turn black. A few of the other Neps actually seemed to thrive by the inceased heat and light. I moved the suffering ones to more shaded locations. I see new leaf growth, so they should recover. Live and learn!

Michael,
Is that BE's clone or from EP? Love the dark red pitchers.
Also, how hot is hot and how cool is the night?

These are the seed grown seedlings from BE. each one is different. I have a separate area where I am keeping all the questionable ones that might be hybrids to macfarlanei, ramispina, mikei, and even others. They range froma true blood red, to black and also lime green! I'll get some picture up soon. I also saved a brownish red one with sixteen inch pitchers on its first new set of leaves.
I am aware that seed grown stuff might be hybrids. But I am not a species nut, so the more variety the better for me! I have noticed some sanguineas with a branched antenna, and others divided like a "y" and others single to some that are just weird!

More individual pics later.

M

love rainforestguy's plants, my plants are sufering because of a heat wave in ny, not that its too hot but the sun is heating the surface temps to 150s F

my bog garden was bone dry
mad.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

so i watered it hope it wasn't too late, the plants dont look like they suffered too much
the plants

Back