What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vining

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Looks like my N. hamata is starting to vine off to the sky.

133hamatavine.jpg

That looks so awesome
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. What conditions do you grow it in? You did a really nice job growing it. I love hamata
biggrin.gif
. Can I be first to get a piece when the vine touches the cieling?
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks for the comments.

My conditions.....south windowsill.

Yeah, that is a great-looking, healthy hamata. I'm always glad to seem them growing outside the terrarium, too!

Capslock

Gorgeous.

I thought they made a lot of offshoots? I don't see any. Maybe it's just the ones in the woody stem state.

Nice N.hamata Steve!

Jerry

Thanks for the comments.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ July 28 2005,8:41)]Gorgeous.

I thought they made a lot of offshoots? I don't see any. Maybe it's just the ones in the woody stem state.

I thought I have heard that also, but mine has not produced any offshoots yet. It's about the size of when my ventrata started to produce a bunch of basal shoots so I've been checking closely when I water.

Wow - a very healthy 6 pitcher hamata on a windowsill!? What is your humidity? Do you increase it somehow? What do you do in winter? For how long do you grow it there?
Quite amazed,
Volker

leucophylla,
Better look again. The hamata has 10 pitchers on it and inflating number 11.
It has been growing in the windowsill for a little over 1 year now.

The humidity fluctuates. So far reading have been around these:

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants. I have a humidifier on my furnace set to around 48%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to around 65 degrees. (humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the hamata. Nights drop to the mid 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 40 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: I would say low 70's to mid 80's. (I usually have the A/C set around 73)

Now that you say it
smile_m_32.gif
I see also 8 pieces and I have an idea where the remaining two are. I am totally amazed that it retains its pitchers so well with this fluctuating humidity (and A/C!). Is this typical for hamata? Actually I am even amazed that they pitcher at all. However, I haven't yet tried a hamata myself.

Do you have your other Neps also as windowsill plants? How about the bical and the raff?
Volker

My ventrata doesn't retain pitchers that well either. I'm thinking it's a lighting thing. Has anyone found that pitchers last longer under better lighting? Maybe they need the extra energy to keep fluids circulating to so many places.

Yes that is a nice looking Hamata.
Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (leucophylla @ July 31 2005,2:30)]Do you have your other Neps also as windowsill plants? How about the bical and the raff?
Volker
The bical was started from seed last year and still in a terrarium. It will move out once it gets larger.
I have growing and grown the following as windowsill plants without problems. N. 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa), N. rafflesiana, N. 'ventrata' (Nepenthes ventricosa x alata), N. sanguinea, and N. hamata.

Wicked pitchers I have got to find one of those. very nice and looks like I can grow it outseid with my others Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Back