What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.reinwardtiana or n.eustachya?

Cindy

Staff member
inquestion.jpg

I received the plant with pitchers like this and was told that this plant is a N.eustachya. Then, a month down the road, I found pitchers with the typical N.reinwardtiana eye-spots and that all the pitchers became green!

Does N.reinwardtiana have spotted interior like that?
Or does N.eustachya have eye-spots?  
confused.gif

Hybrid??

Oh Gosh Cindy.. Some pics of the leaves and plant might help, along with pics of the whole pitcher.  From what I can see of the shape and the angle of the pitcher opening and other features, it doesn't look like N. eustachya.

N. reinwardtiana can have some small coloring inside.  Most are plain though.
Here is a picture of a lowland form Malesiana has.
N. reinwardtiana Kapit lowland
NreinwardtianaMT_kapit.jpg

Just for kicks here is a N. eustachya.  Notice the strong hip and obvious fringed wings.
NeustachyaRxWEP1CR.jpg

Unfortunately I can not rule out that your plant is not a hybrid.  There are some N. reinwardtiana hybrids out there.  Any other info on its origins?

Tony

Hi Cindy/Tony,
What looks very un-reinwardtiana to me (and a quickly checked Danser, too) is, that the wings don't reach the peristome.

Just for the sake of it
smile_m_32.gif
I'm contributing an image of
N.reinwardtiana var. samarindanensis
reinwardtiana.jpg

Volker

PS: For me even the darn X Ventratas have eye-spots if you look deep enough into their throat ...

The plant is from West Sumatra. I have never seen fringed wings on the adult pitchers and most of the time it looked like the N. reinwardtiana Kapit lowland. Except for instances when it is all green with the eye-spots.

The pitcher in the pix I posted has no wings. It is a upper pitcher.

But after seeing leucophylla's pic of N.reinwardtiana var. samarindanensis, I am wondering if all N.reinwardtiana have fringed wings?
confused.gif

I chopped down the plant before starting this thread and only have the basal pitchers left on the plant. They are very small and they have fringed wings that reach the peristome.

Man, am I confused....
confused.gif
confused.gif

Any differences in the leaves?

Does reinwardtiana have big leaves and small pitchers? Mine has..ITs not the light cuz my other plants are getting som good color and size of pitchers.
Could it be the soil? its in LFS,perlit at 70/30

Cindy,
According to Danser the wings of reinwardtiana can be fringed or not.

He also states that the uppers have two prominent ribs over the whole length. Can you see those?

Well, regarding the leafes check (Danser) for yourself:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany....s50.htm

And since Danser described N. eustachya as N. alata, you might also want to compare his N. alata entry:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany....s11.htm

Tyfone,
I'd still say try more light. Reinwardtiana can take a lot. More than some other Neps would appreciate.
Volker

Okie, all the N.eustachya pitchers I've been on the Internet are more bulbous than the N.reinwardtiana.

N.eustachya pitchers have eye-spots too.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I can't tell anything from the leaves.
smile_h_32.gif

Well, I'll just assume it is a N.reinwardtiana m. (maybe) N.eustachya for now.
smile.gif

leucophylla

I just wanted to say thx..I increased the light to my reinwardtiana and the new picher is huge compared to the other ones...

Cindy,
there are some reinwardtiana natural hybrids from around the Sibolga area of Sumatra. Not saying that's where it's from, but natural hybrid of reinwardtiana x gracilis does appear to not be uncommon.

My, oh, my...now it's a N.reinwardtiana m. (maybe) N.eustachya m. N.gracilis?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Yes or maybe its a N.reinwardtiana x gracilis x eustachya
smile_n_32.gif

Back