What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii hybrids

Almost forgot N. lowii x (spathulata x maxima)
Nepenthes_2_078.jpg

That's all for now.

Michael

Michael you have some seriously good looking plants there
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Thank you
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
! Now I've seen how variable this cross is. The darker clones deffinately look like the winners. Hopefuly I'll be getting one of those soon.

Michael,
I am getting the vibes...that you have a ton of plants.

Cheers,

Joe

smile_m_32.gif

I think it's far more than a vibe
smile_m_32.gif

If you run out of space, you can always send some to me. J/K
smile_n_32.gif
. Although I guess I don't have any space either
confused.gif

Michael, I sympathise with you completely. I have farmed out about half of my collection to friends to look after after I ran out of space, and that was after giving away most of the hybrids I had. I break into a cold sweat when I consider that quite a few of my plants, whilst seedlings now, will soon turn into very large plants. It's more than a consuming passion... LOL

My biggest fear is that some unusual cross will come out of its shell and bloom into a beautiful plant. by then, I would have sold all but two and wished I didn't part with any. I can also imagine the parent of the exotic cross that I like so much has bit the dust and is no longer around and remaking that cross will be impossible!

So I keep a lot of each for that reason.

Michael

I think its time we revived this old thread. Lets see some new pics!

Strange fear, Michael. My fear is that a really interesting cross will come out and Michael will buy all the available plants so there won't be any left for me. Or has this already happened?

Here are a couple of my lowii hybrids.
P1000574.jpg

muluensis x lowii

P1000459.jpg

lowii x truncata

both are very nice, i need more Neps. hmmmmmmmmm need to build a larger grow chamber. now that i have room my plastic sheet over top of shelves is less and less appealing. guess im going to have to pic up some plexi, ive got a bunch of 2x2's, 2x4's a plywood still in the shed

Here's a couple more:
N. lowii x truncata
7c3aaa18.jpg

N. lowii x veitchii H/L
977eb4ea.jpg

I don't have any N. lowii hybrids that are producing upper pitchers.  I've heard the extreme shape of N. lowii upper pitchers may translate into some deformity in it's hybrids.  Anyone had experience with this?
KPG

very nice photography kpg. great color on those guys!
I have no uppers yet, but I am getting intermediates on this lowii x ventricosa.

l-x-v.jpg

lowii-x-ventricosa.jpg

The lowii hybrids with ventricosa reds are truly a gorgeous grex. I have many plants with uppers that look more N. Trusmadiensis (wide mouthed) than lowii. I suppose the peristome from ventricosa contributes similarly (but not as high a degree as) to that of macrophylla. The peristome is clearly more ventricosa-like than lowii-like. The coloration is truly enhanced by N. ventricosa red and the firm woody pitchers enhanced by lowii. I feel the crosses with ventricosa and TM will be even better as plants mature into Trusmadiensis-like plants. Its evident from looking at my thorelii x TM plant that its almost like looking at a Trusmadiensis!

I will post some uppers soon.

M

Beautiful plant, RL. Can't wait to see those uppers, M.

Back