What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii hybrids

Everyone here loves N. lowii and its hybrids.  It would be interesting to see the variations of the same cross everyone probably has.  I'll start with a photo of N. lowii x veitchii h/l.

md_40701_p563580.jpg

This small plant has just begun to produce some nice sized pitchers.  In six months it will double in size!

Another forms of the hybrid from a smaller seedling.
md_40701_p563581.jpg
The variation between brother-sister plants are just amazing!

Michael

I posted this in my other thread, but I'll post it again
WebDSCF0035.jpg

This is my N. lowii x ventricosa red

I have a very small muluensis x lowii.
I've been told it's a natural hybrid, and as both parents are reported from Gunung Mulu and have overlapping altitudes it seems possible, but Charles Clarke doesn't list it.
Any thoughts?
t.

Here's another lowii x ventricosa:
N_lowii_x_ventricosa_2.sized.jpg

It's gotten darker since this picture. Nice plant!

Capslock

I have an N. lowii x N. ventricosa as well, but its nothing near as large as Max's plant there! But its a mature cutting, so soon....
smile_m_32.gif

Tony,

The muluensis x lowii is indeed a natural hybrid. Rob Cantley from Borneo Exotics released it from muluensis seed collected in the wild (I'm not sure whether it was G. Mulu or G. Murud, as both species are found in those locations). He's also had tentaculata x lowii show up in some tentaculata seed (or it may have been lowii x tentaculata show up in some lowii seed, I can't recall which).

There have been a few threads discussing the relative common occurrence of hybrids in seed that has been collected in the wild but germinated in cultivation. Some of these hybrids are rare or as yet unknown in the wild, but show up in cultivation probably as they're given beneficial conditions which allow for their survival, whereas in the wild they'd die out. Sometimes the proportion of hybrids in a wild batch can be surprisingly high, and in some cases multiple and complex hybrids can show up in one seed batch, particularly with lowland species that grow close together like ampullaria, bicalcarata, rafflesiana and gracilis.

Hamish

Wow
Some great looking pitchers there.
Bye for now Julian

Regarding natural hybrids I would fully agree with Hamish that while hybrid seed could be readily produced, it appears quite difficult for the hybrid plants to establish themselves in the wild. While recently on G. Murud the rarity of clear hybrids struck me. I would think lowii hybrids would be easily identifiable but I did not see any at all on G Murud despite the fact that murudensis, muluensis, and hurrelliana all grow together. If I saw any hybrids there at all, they were juvenile plants and did not have enough mature characteristics to clearly identify them as such.

Rich

Nice plants guys. Here's another lowii x ventricosa to add to the fray. You can just see lowii on the left.

lowiixventricosa.jpg

Thanks for the info on muluensis x lowii, people!
I know my plant's not a very spectacular specimen yet
smile_n_32.gif
, but here's a pic of it anyway:

muluensisxlowii.jpg

Cheers,
T.

Hi,

I'm growing a N. lowii x macrophylla Hybrid:

N_x_trusmadiensis_090604_med.jpg

N_x_trusmadiensis_160904.jpg

Cheers Joachim

now you are spoiling us
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Oops! typo. Let's NOT forget this hybrid! Not; Let's now forget this hybrid. That would be very, very, wrong!! Geez I gotta proofread better! Ugh!

Joel

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepsAroundTheHouse @ Aug. 12 2005,10:33)]Oops! typo. Let's NOT forget this hybrid! Not; Let's now forget this hybrid. That would be very, very, wrong!! Geez I gotta proofread better! Ugh!

Joel
LOL, I thought that was a strange statement....

smile_n_32.gif

N. lowii x ventricosa red a hybrid from EP.  
Nepenthes_2_068.jpg

another view of the same pitcher
Nepenthes_2_069.jpg

and a different pitcher from a different clone
Nepenthes_2_070.jpg

Keep the photos coming.  This is a neat thread!

Michael

No lowii x truncatas?
biggrin.gif

Nepenthes_2_110.jpg

Nepenthes_2_111.jpg

Nepenthes_2_112.jpg

Nepenthes_2_113.jpg

Nepenthes_2_114.jpg

Nepenthes_2_115.jpg

I think I did one each of all fifteen clones of this cross!

Michael

Back