What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing with all cp's

• Thread starter rbjong
  • Start date
N.northiana in its natural habitate ie limestone hills of Bau,endemic to Sarawak(Island of Borneo).This is the only place in the world where they are found.The limestone hills also contain gold. Because the quantity is low and mining on limestone is difficult therefore their existence is save for the meantime.
I will post again of cross hybrid when the negatives are develop.  
smile.gif
My Webpage

hi all,

I didnt see the photo i posted.How to post picture here? Cheers.:;):

Hi there, you posted this in the wrong place so I have moved it to the nep forum. As far as posting pictures, you need to upload your picture to some space online in order to post it to a forum... It seems your link is from your computer and that won't work. If you Have no way to upload to the internet I would be happy to host it for you. Just email the picture to adnedarn(at)comcast.net.
bye for now
Andrew

Robert,
Really look forward to seeing your pics! You mentioned a hybrid. Is it a natural hybrid with northiana?

Yah, I was also curious about those images! Don't mention that gold thing, otherwise people here start to grind up their jewelery and add it to their soil mixes. My favorite: 2 pine bark, 2 LFS, 1 laterite, 1 gold - sounds good! ;)
Volker

It is a natural hybrid but look like northiana too as it shows the features. will send the pix files to adnedarn so he can help me to post.Comment welcome if i am wrong.TQ Darn.

Here are the pictures for rbjong and the descriptions that were given to me:
spider in N.ampullaria-the spider has made the
N.ampullaria its home.Right inside are web constructed
to trap falling insect.However only noticible to naked
eye.
spiderinNampullaria.jpg

a young aerial/upper N.ampullaria.There are
other variety with spotted red.This variety is not
very common but are localised in some location.
upperNampullaria.jpg

Andrew

More pictures from Robert:
N.northiana in its natural habitate on limestone
hills.This place was once heavily mined for its gold
deposits but because the quality and quantity were low
therefore uneconomical to run.The place was left to be
reclaim by nature,at least for the meantime.
Nnorthianalimestonehabitate.jpg

a comparison of the size of
N.northiana(aerial).The mineral water bottle hold 1.50
litres of water is self explainatory.
Nnorthianabottle.jpg

The natural hybrid is N.northiana x ? I am not quite
sure or it's naturally cross with either gracilis or
mirabilis?.The leaves blade are thin similar to
gracilis.
Nnorthianamaybenaturalhybrid.jpg

The only way to find out here is to pay the
Forest dept botanist a visit. Comments welciome please.

Wonderful photos of N. northiana and the N. ampullaria uppers are FABULOUS!!!!

I wish... northiana was easier to grow.  Then I'd wish I had one
smile_n_32.gif

I don't think the last photo is of a natural hybrid of N. northiana. For one thing the peristome is too thin. See N. Miranda's peristome, that what a N. northiana hybrid should resemble.

M

These photos are great! Just what I was hoping to see!
Do you know the natural lighting, was it shady or rather bright? and were the roots in very shallow soil? or moss? or deep? dry, or wet? That is a large plant, and I think this must be one of the most beautiful neps!
Thanks

RaindforestGuy u may be right.I have shown some people who are knowledgable of nepenthes but could'nt give a definite answer.However i will post when i get a definite one.

Lam the photos were mostly taken under shade of trees,therefore lighting was soft and need the help of reflector.In the case of N.northiana a very thin layer of soil and mixture of dead leaves.soil are well drain.In some instances roots are slightly exposed.N.northiana in limestone area have deep penetrating roots to hold on limestone outcrop and hill slopes.Hope that help.:D

Hi rbjong,

very nice pictures! The last one looks like N. reinwardtiana although the eye spots are missing.

Cheers Joachim

I think it looks more like a gracilis...crossed something else...

I don't know about the "hybrid" what is indigenous to the area? Again, I agree with Michael, gracilis x northiana would have a more fluted peristome certainly.

That was my guess .Only mirabilis and gracilis were found around the lowlying area.N.northiana was a distance away up the limestone hill.

Fantastic photos!
There are a number of possibilities for the hybrid. Agree with RFG. about the northiana showing more peristome. Perhaps the hybrid is (gracilis x (gracilis x northiana)).

today i get the answer from a forest conservationist(also a botanist).Indeed it's northiana x gracilis.I also have another variation as in the following photos.

naturalhybridnorthiana.jpg

close up
Hybrid.jpg

The image above is different to the previous one, which I am almost 100% sure is gracilis. The peristome is completely different.

Back