What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy cats

I thought that this would be an interesting place to post your pics of hybrids (or species) that look like something else in a juvenile form or otherwise different form.

The first photo is N. spectabilis x veitchii
Nepenthes_2_085.jpg

Now compared to N. eymae x spectabilis.
Nepenthes_2_086.jpg

I guess the N. spectabilis comes out strong over the other species used.

Michael

Super looking peristomes on both plants,very nice indeed
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Just goes to show you how hard it can be to identify hybrids.  So many factors involved such as age, size of the plant, lower vs intermediate vs upper pitchers etc.

Although I am surprised a bit on the leaf form, coloration and pitcher shape of the N. eymae x spectabilis.  I don't recall any of mine with leaves looking anything like those pictured.  Was that a plant from me?? It doesn't look right. Looks more like N. eymae x veitchii or something like that.

Tony

Tony, The eymae x spectabilis came from EP and I questioned Geoff about that photo and he said a very very few came out with compact foliage like that.  I had assumed my tags got crossed but looking closely at the peristome patterns, it was obvious that it was the spectabilis parent.  My eymae x veitchiis all came out with solid colored peristomes that varied from rust bronze through maroon reds.  
Nepenthes_1_021.jpg

Michael

Hmm got me Michael.. I just don't see the N. spectabilis. I have quite a few of the N. eymae x veitchii that have striped peristomes and look just like that one, but not a single N. eymae x spectabilis that looks anything like it.

Maybe it is what it is.. maybe a few pollen grains from a N. veitchii got mixed in with the flower that had N. spectabilis on it..maybe a few labels got mixed. Probably never know for sure.

Tony

When it first produced its first pitcher, I had assumed that maybe EP made an error on the tag, so I questioned him. But he said that they couldn't have been mixed especially since several were all bagged together from the same tray/flat. So I am keeping it aside and watching over it. Most of my other N. eymaes x veitchii have the longer tubular pitchers with the bown-maroon striped peristome. I also have another spectabilis x veitchii with longer narrow leaves more closer to N. spectabilis. I believe it will come into pitcher soon. I will post its photos of it when ready.

Michael

hey... interesting thought... if you pollinate a single flower with 50% pollen from one species, 50% from another, will some plants be hybrids and some be pure?

yep, it all depends on how many pollen can reach the ova. (they send down a tube through which the sperm travels... there's two sperm in each pollen grain)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 20 2005,9:26)]hey... interesting thought... if you pollinate a single flower with 50% pollen from one species, 50% from another, will some plants be hybrids and some be pure?
Not sure what you mean between hybrid and pure. The pollen won't mix so you won't get a seed with all 3. You will end up with a mix with some seed a cross between A and B and the other a cross between A and C. A being the female plant, and B and C the two pollen types. You won't necessarily get 50/50 on the AB/AC ratio either, even if you could get precisely half one pollen and half the other.

Tony

Tony-

I tend to agree with you. As far as I have always known neither spectabilis or eymae produce a broad flattened peristome, at least they don't on any of my clones and I grow several of EP's breeding specimens as well as the hybrids made from them. None of my emae x spectabilis remotely resemble this one. That specimen is screaming veitchii. Just because they pulled it from the same seed flat as the other eymae x spectabilis does not mean that a pollen grain or two from veitchii did not some how get transfered to the eymae female flower. Also...not all eymae x veitchii will have the same peristome coloration or degree of striping. When you are dealing with hydrids, especially from seed, you get a number of different results. I just don't see where two species with rolled striped peristomes can produce an offspring with a broad flattened peristome.

Just my $.02

I tend to agree as well (for what it's worth). One needs to be maniacally stringent when hybridising, to keep the female scape untouched as well as the male. All it takes is for one insect, or even strong air flow, to move pollen from a male to a female, or from one male to another. Also, if one female scape had several different male plants used to pollinate it, there's always a risk of transfer. Covering flower heads from the moment they appear is the only way to make sure contamination doesn't occur.

Back