What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd nep problem

Lately one of the Neps in my terrarium hasn't been looking the best. Now keep in mind it has only been in this particular terrarium for a few weeks (close to a month):

SickNep.jpg

What could be wrong? The lights being used on this terrarium are two 30 watt daylight compact flourescents (6500k) and one 20 watt full spectrum plant aquarium flourescent tube. It looks like it could be some kind of light burn, like maybe the lights are too strong or something. Do you guys think it's still getting aclimated to its new environment? Is is some kind of fungus? Old leaves dying off? Lack of air circulation? I need all the help I can get!

Probably too much light.

-D. Lybrand

Now is this something that the Nep will get used to over more time, or is it something I need to take care of (i.e. take a bulb away or something)?

Well, a few weeks isn't much time to get used to new locations, so I'd see how it does for the next few weeks before doing anything. It doesn't sound like too much light.

Capslock

Looks like a root problem..how wet are you keeping it and how old is the soil media?

Ah, you know what nepenthes gracilis? I think you may have the problem right there. I have been keeping this particular nep in a few inches of water constantly. Perhaps it's too waterlogged? And more importantly, can it be saved if I change its conditions?

Let it dry out my friend. Certainly can be saved, let those roots breathe. Think of roots as your feet in boots on a hot sunny day, you need to let them get some air or they'll be stagnant/stinky and wet!

I agree that it looks like you overwatered.  

Usually, terrarium neps that overcolor due to light have their top leaves (closest to the lights) affected the greatest, whereas color change due to overwatering/death shows with lower leaves affected the greatest.

Neps and other CPs in a terrarium usually require less watering due to the higher humidity, and are less tolerant of being overwatered because the pots remain wet longer.  I water my terrarium neps only when the top begins becoming only very slightly moist.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll definitely try to save it.

Well while we're on this "too much light" topic, I have a question to ask of all you Nep experts.

Can you give a Nep too much artificial light? If so, is there a way you can ease them into receiving more articficial light than they're used to?

I don't think there's a way to have too much light indoors. The sun is still far brighter.

Back