What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drooly nep's

i noticed something weird when i threw my young N. ventricosa outside for a snack today... even though it didn't appear to catch anything, it looked like the goo-secreting glands went into overdrive (yay scientific terminology). there was juice streaming down the sides of several pitchers, even dripping off the bottom. i know i didn't knock any over, this was definitely oozing from the mouth of the pitcher. was this some kind of response to the high humidity outside, or presence of bugs (even though the ants were too smart to have a taste!), or was it just, um, salivating?

just curious
smile.gif

High humidity will certainly make nectar more liquid and more likely to run down the side of the pitcher, although I suspect the response was due to other environmental changes. I am guessing the light was brighter and the temperature was warmer than the plants normal home? I think these would be more likely culprits to stimulate the plant into producing more nectar.

T

Sorry I dont have an answer...
Is this excessive nectar production actually a 'good' sign? like humidity is good and pitchers are healthy, or is it just the genes, ie certain plants produce more?
I never really see nectar so much that it can be collected, but I noticed some pics posted here with bicalcaratas with large drops of nectar on their fangs!
If this is 'good' how can it be encouraged?
thanks

my N. veitchii generally produces more nectar than any of my others but even it isnt much.

Of course it's good
biggrin.gif
! If they are producing copious amounts of nectar, then they are generally happy. My plants are making a lot of nectar. It forms thick globs on the peristome as it gets dry. But they still don't catch flies like my pings do
smile_n_32.gif

Back