What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a few (no not beers) so you get pics!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 16 2005,5:06)]hmm should female clones be worth more???
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks for your answers! Tony, imagine the price for a loving Nepenthes couple... Selling two instead of one plant of each species. This way the local species-seed production could be boosted, too.
Quite amazed that you are giving away your biggest plants. My policy is to sell the 2nd biggest and keep the biggest to brainwash people how nice those boring seedlings can get later ;) Plus the prettiest, strongest, fastest plants can be selected that way. But hey, I am not selling much yet.
I agree, it would be nice to have known clones, localities and genders and then get rid of everything else. Might take a life, but maybe it's worth it
smile_l_32.gif
. Is Nepenthes-TC always done from seed, or has there been successful propagation from meristematic (growth-tip) cells already? In short: Can you do a clone/gender preserving TC on Nepenthes?
Volker

At the moment all Nepenthes tissue culture is done from seed, as seed is the only disease-free material that seems to work. Adult material contaminates in vitro. However, I have heard rumours of recent success with meristem tissue culture, but these reports are hearsay and I remain to be convinced.

depending on species i would generally be willing to pay more for a known and documented female. funny thing is at the moment im looking for males more than females. specifically a nicely striped N. veitchii male cutting to pair up with the female i have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 15 2005,10:06)]hmm should female clones be worth more???
smile_m_32.gif

Tony
Seeing that only 30% of the nep population are females, why not?
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

Stunning pictures as always Tony. I was indonesia for two weeks just now, about a hundred miles south of Borneo i guess, on Bali.

I found nothing...
smile_h_32.gif

Back