What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Source for n.ampullaria var

Jacques, where did u find the details:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Aug. 25 2005,4:36)]Whats that about the peristome? Yes, some variants have different colors of peristomes like the green one is obviosly green, the speckled is green and the giant red has a yellowish hue with a few stripes on it. Cantleys red has a red peristome and hot lips has a pink peristome.
I think the N. ampullaria cv. Hotlips (ofcourse originatedly from Malesiana Tropicals) doesn't have pink peristome but  burgundy red.
smile.gif

nep_amp_hotlips.jpg

smile_m_32.gif
 This is another form of N. ampullaria I got from Malesiana Tropicals a couple of years ago.
It has brighter red peristome. According to the label it was called N. ampullaria 'Red light Peristome'

nep_amp_redper.jpg

Hi Chanrit,nice to meet u here .The amp. you own are fabulous,look very fresh:;):
..the first photo looked like the one i posted in "searching for nepenthes",see if u agreed
confused.gif

There appears to be some confusion about the ampullaria varieties. Cultivar names like 'Hot Lips' applies only to one plant, in this case Malesiana's cultivar. A true cultivar can only be propagated by vegetative methods-cuttings or mericloning. This is why it is offered for sale only from cuttings (until someone successfully mericlones it). Other plants of similar color are not 'Hot Lips', they just resemble 'hotlips'. The same applies to N. ampullaria 'William's Red'. You may find other totally red plants that look like Williams Red, but they are not. If there is any way to distinguish that they are different (growth habit, leaf shape, gender etc), then they cannot have the same name.The good news: if you find something unique, bring it into cultivation and can propagate it-establish cuttings-then it can be given a cultivar name. To make it official, the cultivar should be described and published in an appropriate journal or book. I don't think Hot Lips was ever described officially, but the name has become famous among Nepenthes growers. Otherwise, for the horticulturist, the best way to describe these plants is based on color variation: green pitcher with red peristome, red pitcher with yellow peristome, solid dark red pitcher and peristome, green with red and purple spots with brown shaded peristome.
Hope this is helpful.

Trent

Very intresting thanks. So the Ampullaria cultivars are usually plants that have some kind of mutation and then are just cept being grown and bred by cutings like that? Would it be a result of hybridizing diffirent Var of ampullarias?
by the way chanrit is your ampullaria in direct sunlight in that picture? Do you grow it in the sun?

Yoav

Back