What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full sun

Anyone else put their nepenthes outdoors in full sun?. This seemed to be the only thing that revived my Home Depot rescue plant. Well that and the 80% humidity we have had all summer here. My soil mix repot for this poor neglected plant, consists of lava rock, lfs, and and peat moss. 25$ for a once half dead plant, is a bit of a rip-off but atleast its not doomed to a slow death right?.
smilie4.gif

if it makes you happy
smile.gif

i dont understand it when people makea big deal out of seeing dead/dying cps in stores. it's not a big deal. you can make as many as you want and they are all clones anyway. it's not like they have feelings.

Mine were perfectly happy in hanging baskets, in bright shade, until I hung them from the eaves. Then they reacted. Two died and the pitchers of the ventratas turned black. Others seemed to have actually thrived. I compromised on direct sunlight and they are less angry with me.

i believe that ventrata and ventricosa respond well to full sun. that's probably what you got from home depot.

It probably would have taken a long time to revive anyway. While you were looking for new ways to get it growing again, it was just on its own schedule from the start.

Ventratas LOVE full sunlight!!!
Nepenthes_2_007.jpg

N. Miranda likes it bright and sunny too!

Nepenthes_2_011.jpg

Michael

But how do they do in 90 degree heat. That was the only other factor that changed when I moved mine from under the porch to the eaves? Can they NOT take the heat? They were doing just fine under bright shade and mid-80's and then had balckened pitchers after I moved the. It's not like they went from the window sill or the store to outside. I only moved them 3'!

Nice plants, BTW!

my ventricosa enjoys low 90's on a daily basis and growth pretty fast and pitchers on every leaf for me.

it was just too much too fast jim.

Gee, and I would have thought that having already been acclimated to being outside, a 3' move wouldn't have been that radical for them. But maybe it was.

RainforestGuy,
Your ventrata looks very happy.

When I have to cut my ventrata, again, I think I'm going to keep one and try it outside in full sun, spring through fall.
I have been growing mine as a windowsill plant for 2 years now. What I have noticed is in the early spring it gets an explosion of pitchers. Then again in late summer it gets another explosion of pitchers (started a few weeks ago). Very few if any pitchers are made during the late spring and mid summer.
I do not know if it typically grows like that or if it is because early spring and late summer the plant is getting longer hours of direct sunlight then the other times.

Full Sun eh? I was always under the impression that they don't like full sun and get burned up. I got mine sitting right under my tree. Gets great morning sun, and filtered sun throughout the day.

This plant had been accidentally moved from a shaded location under a tree to full sun. Most of the original leaves burned black. I trimmed it and it came back quick and abundant. Aparently with more light, every node produces a shoot that develops into a true plant this is what you are seeing now. Its still rather short in comparison to what it should be on a large matured plant. In time it will. Will retake more photos of this plant to show how rapidly it grew since then.

I think the pitchers are longer lasting in full sun. Its currently around 90's now and even hotter against the cement.

M

I can't grow a ventrata outdoors here in San Francisco. Believe me, I tried, and am still trying. The plant is not "dead", but I haven't seen a pitcher in 6 months, and it's not happy at all. It's just too cold! All dang summer long, it's been cold and foggy. Among the worst I've ever seen, and I've been here 17 years. N. rajah, on the other hand, is happy as a clam. Both in full sun once it hits about 1:00pm, and to the extent there is any sun.

Capslock

I grow mine in full sun once they get big enough for 6" pots. Here's a link to some photos from my site http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/hangingnepenthes.htm

Even my shadecloth guys get full sun exposure as well. It does vary from species to species, hybrid to hybrid as to what plant will do better. I definitely scorched a veitchii in full sun for example, but most of my plants benefit from the exposure. There are many variables in play depending on your demographics: humidity, exposure time, temperture all play a role. My plants have taken 90's with our Santa Ana winds with 20% humidity for several days no problem as long as the soil stayed moist. A good way to introduce them outdoors is to do it gradually. Give 'em morning sun when it isn't too intense for a few weeks or so. Then you can acclimate them to full sun once they get used to the brighter light and lower humidity. I've thrown many of my Neps directly into full sun that have done fine, but I wouldn't recommend that without experimentation. Depending on the plant, pitcher loss is normal. Neps with more papery traps dry up for a while until the plant adjusts and then goes about its business as normal. Another big factor is where the plant was grown. I've introduced plants outdoors (lowlanders) because they were grown in somewhat similar conditions to mine by the vendor. Tony does a great job with his plants this way. You can tell they are well hardened off ready for me to abuse! I figure he's killed more than me! (No offense Tony!
smile_m_32.gif
But other plants that haven't been hardened off well have suffered. So if the plant isn't your prized Trusmadiensis or edwardsiana and can afford to experiment, go for it gradually. I think you'll be really amazed at the results.

Good growin'
Joel
Nepenthes Around the House.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (truncata1 @ Aug. 21 2005,11:40)]Anyone else put their nepenthes outdoors in full sun?.  This seemed to be the only thing that revived my Home Depot rescue plant.  Well that and the 80% humidity we have had all summer here.  My soil mix repot for this poor neglected plant, consists of lava rock, lfs, and and peat moss.  25$ for a once half dead plant, is a bit of a rip-off but atleast its not doomed to a slow death right?.
smilie4.gif
hi i grow my nepenthes in full sun. my copelandii and my sanguinea are the two

My Nepenthes Collection!

Nice plants. I WANT SOME BIG PITCHERS!!! LOL Seems my two are small pitshered plants. Well atleast not huge pitchered. I will sure be ready to get off plant restriction. LOL Nice plants again BTW.

I think it depends on the plant and where you are.  I assume Phoenix growers don't keep their Neps outdoors in full sun and, even here with relatively weak CT sun, I see quite a variation among my very similar Neps.

My N. fusca 'Sarawak' is in the sunniest place I have and thrives with direct sun from late morning through the end of the day.  My N. ventricosa didn't like that spot as much, but is happy nearby where it gets sun beginning slightly after noon.  My N. maxima gets its first sun a little after that.  Its leaves that grew outside can take even more sun, but the leaves that grew during its many months indoors fade badly with more sun.  So halfday sun seems a good compromise for it.  My other Neps, other than the khasiana, maybe, don't show the same difference between indoor and outdoor leaves.  The N. sanguinea doesn't like even the halfday light mid summer, but seems content with dappled sun during mid summer and more direct sun as fall approaches.  My N. khasiana turns purple with any significant sun, so gets dappled light the whole time it's outside.  My N. sibuyaensis and faizaliana are too new for me to have figured them out yet.  But the sib is already tolerating more sun than the sanguinea will likely join the high light plants.  Your mileage may vary.

i have to keep this baby out ouf full sun for sure!

its a rajah!
834N_Rajah_1_1_-med.jpg

here are the ones i do keep in full sun!

N.%20Sanguinea%205.jpg

N.%20Copelandii%202.jpg

Back