What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering times

Greetings all,

It's late winter here in Sydney, which is very 'spring-ish'. I noticed a couple of flower heads developing on my Neps yesterday (ventricosa and truncata), which is about a month or more earlier than normal for those species. There's no sign yet on any of my other mature plants, aristo for example often flowers in late summer/autumn.

Does anyone notice that particular species flower at the same time every year, or at different times during the growing season? Are they once a year bloomers, or do they have several flushes?

Hamish

Miranda, from summer through ealy next year, then lots of growth!

Also N. Gentle as well, so far its keep on producing new spikes.

For the first time this year, N. truncata x ventricosa are coming into bloom. As well as N. maxima x truncata.

Michael

eah most my Nepenthes seem to flower spring/summer.

Michael
What size pitcher are you getting off your N. truncata x ventricosa?

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I have N. hamata, N. x Miranda, N. khasiana, N. x Gentle and N. veitchii maybe blooming or coming into spike.

Man,
that's luck!
I am living in Italy and I have 5 nepenthes ( Sanguinea, reiwardtiana RED,truncata,Copelandii and Ventrata ( 130 CM)) and they have no intentions to bloom!
smile_h_32.gif

In particulary I have noticed that letting flowering a Ventrata is more difficult than a Nepenthes Mixta"Miranda".
PLease, post some pictures of your nepenthes flowers, in particular of the Nep. TRuncata!
smile.gif

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mr Aga, I'll post some pics when the flowers are starting to open. At the moment they've not long unfurled from the leaves, so they're not particularly interesting. Maybe in a month or so they'll be mature. I'm expecting plenty more species to start flowering in the next couple of months. The main issue is timing. I've had reasonably good luck in previous years with flowers coming in a fairly narrow window. This year flowering seems to have started very early (global warming or whatever, our winters are getting warmer and shorter), so the flowering season could be very extended. That in turn makes pollination difficult, especially when the females flower before the males.

Hamish

My maxima hybrid just started flowering this morning... again. I don't really want to keep it on, because it will take energy, prevent me from cutting it
smile_m_32.gif
, and if I remember correctly,

My maxima hybrid just started flowering this morning... again.  I don't really want to keep it on, because it will take energy, prevent me from cutting it
smile_m_32.gif
, and if I remember correctly, they dont smell too nice.

Hi,
I cant say much about flowering times as in which month or periods, because dont have many flowering plants...but I know my neps sent up numerous inflorescence during the rainy season, when the weather changed dramatically from hot and sunny to cold and wet... ( I'm tropical, by the way)

That makes sense, given that in the tropics seasons are meaningless, and 'wet' and 'dry' have more significance. I wish drenching my plants would have that effect, but I suspect there are other factors involved during the rainy season that come into play, like air pressure etc.

For alata highland it seems to flower in April in habitat. That's one month before rainy season sets in. Maybe it also extends over a longer duration, - I visited a very few locations in April and found only flowers, but no seeds.
Volker

Volker, I remember seeing an article about N. mirabilis from Hong Kong, that it flowered in the dry season, with seed having a couple of months before the rainy season. Studies were done of seed viability, and the highest germination rates occurred with seed that had been left for 28 days from harvest. Seed planted earlier and later has a lower germination rate, so this was the evolutionary 'sweet spot'. This is important in a monsoonal climate like Hong Kong. In the pure tropics where rainfall is more regular, you find species like gracilis and bicalcarata where the seed must be sown within days after harvest or it won't germinate, the window of viability is that short.

I'm going to keep a diary this year of what species flower when, to see whether next season it repeats the pattern. The other issue is that some species will have a second 'flush' of flowers.

Hamish

Back