What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all.. just a few things to show as I plug along on trying to update the website photos.

Recent hybrid from Exotica.  
N. sibuyanensis x truncata.  Recently opened pitcher.  The peristome darkens over time.  A characteristic of both parents.
NsibXtruncata1.jpg

Large lower pitcher on N. lowii x truncata.  Recently opened, as it ages the pitcher and the peristome get much darker.
Nlowiixtruncata2.jpg

Something new.  My first hybrid!
N. pectinata x campanulata.  Still a young plant but will be interesting to see how things develop.  Appears the N. campanulata didn't inhibit any of the coloration from the N. pectinata.
NpectinataXcampanulata.jpg

Just for kicks.. here is the female parent. N. pectinata (B) lower pitcher. Upper pitchers are significantly less colored.
NpectinataB_EPCR.jpg

Tony

I like the looks of the N. lowii x truncata.

Your first hybrid! Tony, you've been spending too much time selling plants and not enough time playing with them
smile_m_32.gif
The lowii x truncata hybrid is showing a fair bit of variation, some clones are strongly influenced by truncata, others fairly even, and some very lowii. Mine at this stage is like a large lowii without the lid hairs, with a very deep purple coloured pitcher and purple/yellow striped peristome. The current developing pitcher should be a similar size to the one in your photo, so it will be interesting to compare. I generally avoid hybrids like the plague, but this one is quite impressive.

I really like you're hybrid, "N. paroubek". How long did it take to germinate and grow to that size?

Hehe, I just bought a lowii x truncata from tony.  I wont touch the pure lowii until near mature plants come along.  I have high hopes for this hybrid though, judging by pictures I've seen, especially on exotica's website.  Are the more lowii dominant clones any slower than the truncata dominants?  I've found with truncata hybrids, you have four traits:  1. slow leaf production, 2. fast leaf production, 3. slow to maturity(increase in size), and 4. fast to maturity(increase in size).  The species truncata is a 1 and 4 type.  Considering this, when crossed with other species, you can get a mix of any of those traits.  My clone of stenophylla x truncata is stenophylla dominant (probably because it is the mother), and has types 1 and 3.  It must get 3 from its stenophylla parent.  A very slow hybrid, but steady and stunning.  Have you observed this in lowii x truncata and other lowii hybrids?

Tony would probably be able to give you a more representative answer given the quantities he deals with, but genetics can be very quirky at times, and much depends on growing conditions and maturity of the plant. I have some hybrids that are slower and more temperamental than either parent. I have others that are significantly faster than one or both parents. That's the beauty of genetics, its complexity and (to some extent) unpredictability make it exciting. If you've ever grown species from seed, you'll notice that even individual within the one species can show huge variances in growth speed, vigour and preferred conditions.

Some species start off really slow growers, but get a bit faster once they're mature (both lowii and burbidgeae seem to be like this). From my experience with lowii x truncata it would appear to be a noticeably faster growing than either parent. That is not to say that this will hold true for all clones.

Hamish

I thought this cross must be rather speedy due to the large size of plants I've seen in photos. They seem to increase in size fast.

nice pics Tony. i would really like to see an older pitcher of the N. sibuyanensis x truncata if you have a pic. i really wish i could get over your way to see your set-up. living in the last best place does have its draw backs i guess.

Hi Tony
Lovely plants,the Sibuyanensis x Truncata looks big already and with those parents its going to be a monster.
The Lowii xTruncata,s peristome is amazing,great shape to the pitcher also,one of the nicest ones ive seen i think.
A nice little cross you have made there,with the amount of plants you have tony id be crossing all sorts
smile.gif

Very nice keep them coming.
Bye fpr now Julian

Thanks for the comments ;>

The N. sibuyanensis hybrid should be quite large indeed. They are already turning into small monsters with big fat leaves. Will see if I can get a picture of another Rattler.

On the N. lowii x truncata.. I dunno. Both species have pitchers that can change color fairly dramatically as they age. Maybe some small differences in pitcher shape will become apparent. I think alot of the differences that people are seeing from posted pictures is related more to plant size/maturity and pitcher age. Both of which are very hard to gauge from a single picture posted on some website or in a forum. Just for kicks I will post a picture from 2 pitchers ago of the same plant.

As far as hybrids growing compared to species. In general hybrids are noticebly more vigorous in both speed of growth and increasing in size. Alot still has to do with the parents used though. While the N. lowii x truncata have grown reasonably well at about the rate of N. truncata, N. lowii x ventricosa grows like it is on steroids. Perhaps this says something about the non N. lowii parent controlling things more than the N. lowii?

As for making crosses.. OH I have been busy.. lately. I have had flowering size Nepenthes for a long time but I wasn't too interested until I had more selection and newer unusual species to work with. I am opposed to just making crosses for the sake of making crosses. I like to approach them with a reason and a goal in hopes of what might come out. The above cross I did to try and produce a N. campanulata looking plant, compact, flairing pitcher with color! I am keen on lowland x highland if possible as well. It remains to be seen how this one will finally come out. N. campanulata doesn't show much flairing until it gets to a few inches, so the seedling has a bit to go yet.

now.... If I could just get N. inermis to flower.. that would be sweet with N. campanulata.

Here is that other pitcher from the N. lowii x truncata above. Again in case you missed it. This is a recent photo of not the pitcher prior to the one above but the next one before that.
Nlowtrun.jpg

Tony, thanks for the pics! Great, as always....did you have more beer?

I LOVE the truncata x lowii!

Tony has plenty of time to play with the plants Hamish, its just hard to explain to the wife why hes going to the greenhouse!
smile_m_32.gif
hehe

Hi Tony
I see what you mean its amazing the difference what a two pitcher jump can do
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Rattler.. I replaced the original N. sibuyanensis x truncata picture with another and added one more.

Here is the additional one:
NsibXtruncata2.jpg

Dustin careful or you will be joining me in the doghouse! er Greenhouse!

Tony

WOw, just love all the pics,
are the truncata hybrids all suitable lowlanders?
They really make me feel like buying some hybrids!

Hi Everyone,
Tony, great pics!  

Just for comparison here are two different seedlings of lowii x truncata.
N.%20lowii%20x%20truncata%208-28-05.JPG

N.%20lowii%20x%20truncata%208-27-05.JPG

Time will tell if this hybrid will tolerate ultra lowland summer conditions.  We suspect it will do fine.

Here's a pic of N. truncata x densiflora which has done well through two summers now.
N.%20truncata%20x%20densiflora%208-26-05.JPG

Highland x lowland hybrids grow easily in both conditions... even highland x highland hybrids are more tolerant.

Trent, I really like your pic of the N. truncata x densiflora.  I have a pic of it in full sunlight outdoors in summer.  Its been especially warm this summer and its doing quite well, with three new leaves coming out at once.
Nepenthes_3_002.jpg

But I really like your clone of that hybrid with sleeker colored pitchers.

Michael

I almost forgot N. lowii x ventricosa.  I have been starting to get intermediate pitchers which seem to be upper on one leaf, then lower on the next.  I am speaking about the tendrl which has gotten curled around a host or just curly-Q with tendril on the side, or behind opening of pitcher.  it can't seem to make up its mind.  but th pitchers are becoming more hour-glass shaped with each succession of new pitchers.  here is my most current pitcher.
Picture065.jpg

I have noticed this plant is prodcing more pitchers than ever before.  Like a new leaf every three weeks!  

Michael

Great pictures guys! keep em coming.

Here is a photo of
nep3032.jpg
N. ventricosa x pectinata which is showing good color.  Although still a small plant, it is producing lots of pitchers.

Michael

Back