What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the most u paid for a rare nepenthes?

Me personally it depends on the rarity of the plant and how it looks like, size, color, pitcher shape and size, ect.... but yes, i would pay about 200.00 max on one plant to the conditions I witten before this. The most I ever paid for a Nepenthes was for my 22"+ diam. truncata @ 80.00. That was for a large plant!. I paid a smaller amount for my rajah but it was a good price for its size. Its about 6"+ in diam. I also paid about 40.00 for another rajah that i had but died! That was a 2" diam plant. I know i havent even paid half of what other payed for their jac's or the plat's. But someday I will one of my own.

i paid $50 for a cutting of probably one of the nicest striped veichii i have ever seen. i didnt know what a deal i was getting then. if presented with the same opportunity again i would have paid triple for what i got. basically depends what it is and what i have for funds at the time.

i think that was a good deal now but back then it didnt seem like it, huh? sorry that i posted up two of the same topic just ignore the other please!

$75 for a large, red pitchered sumatrana, plus $5 shipping. I hope I'll never pay that much for a single plant again
biggrin.gif
. I like the philosophy of waiting until expensive prices go down.

$80 or so for a highland truncata. Now it's a yard across with 10+" pitchers, so I have no idea what it's worth now (more than I'd pay
smile.gif
).

i also belive in that phlosophy too. prices will go down due to TC and cuttings for more rarer and hard to get plants. u know something the aristo's will go up in price!

hey rattler_mt, u have any cutting available? i may want to buy or trade u!
smile.gif

I got a good deal on a nice sized N. hamata that cost me $65.00.

Hi Santos, nice to see you here.

I once paid $15 for a mated pair of mature edwardsianas...then I woke up:D Seriously, it is probably the $30 I just spent on a small highland truncata or the $32 + shipping for a veitchii x lowii hybrid. Thats not too much, maybe I should go buy some more right now! I guess I like to buy small and let them grow. Trading has recently become a nice way to increase my collection.

no cuttings availible. wont for 5 months or so. the 3 cuttings i took off of it were basically spoken for before i took a knife to the vine

Interesting...here in Germany you can buy highland N. truncata plants in garden centers for less money. I got most of my Nepenthes through swapping. Most expensive plants were N. inermis for 30 Euro and N. hamata for 20 Euro.

I've paid over US$120 for some species, but when you add Australian quarantine costs, it hits around $150. I would pay more for mature plants of rare species.

My hamata had around a 5 to 6" leaf span when I got it. It's around 14" now.
Most the time when people show there newly acquired hamata they are around a 3" leaf span.

well i payed $30 for a one foot high manny herera hybrid, IT GROW LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW! it has pitchers on every leaf, it puts out a new leaf every week and a half and in full sun the entire plant become crimson, i love it!

Not really the amt. of money paid, its the money to plant rarity and size. N. villosa is notorious for holding this reputation of priceyness to plant size and rarity, its a pretty rare plant, expensive and darned small when you can get ahold of it. $35 for a 1.5" across plant is expensive....then again seeing N. argentii for $180+ is scary. N. platychila is up there too....$135+ last I checked and its about the size of a retail N. villosa. BUt as far for priceyness....I'd say N.x Briggsana for $50 mature cutting (a steal at that price!!!) and N. aristolochioides at $55 for a tiny plant. N. macrophylla tops the scales at $80 though.

i would waste that much but you really dont "waste money" on nepenthes. for sure i have alreasy spent over $300.00 on my collection and i only have about a dozen nepenthes.

some times its hard to decide if you wanna buy cheap or expensive.

I just got a N. truncata X aristochloides for $65. the first pitcher on it is swelling up. I can't wait till it opens! Aristo hybrids rock!.

Unfortunately, the more mature aristo x truncatas I've seen don't have the slanted mouths of most aristo hybrids, but it does have an aristo-like peristome.

Back