What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone have their nepenthes stolen?

yesterday i went to register my plants at a exotic plant show in arcadia for labor day weekend and i was talking to the president if the L.A.I.F.S., and he told me a story that the people around his house STOLE most of his collection!!!! NOW WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING!!!! now i do understand that people who grow nepenthes or carnivourous plants might know the value of that plant but just regular people. they dont even know how to take care of them. id be better of with someone that knows how to grow them because i know that they will take car of the plant, but some regular people. this guy had some rare plants too...

afraid people will steal your nepenthes? grow them in the closet, like me.....

lol
laugh.gif

And, if you grow them in the closet, the neighbor you took them from will never know.

I think it's time for all Neps to come out of the closet!

I'm always a little worried that someone might steal one of plants. Not my Sarrs because they are big and strange, but my VFTs. I have a green dragon that probably would look tempting to some teenage kid. A lot of people pass by my porch...luckily our apartment complex is all gated in (though never locked).

i hate bad teens because they ruin reputations of those who want to make a diffrence in the world(i belive hours of gardening help for the towns seniors would put me on the list of those who want to make a diffrence), bad teens should be PAINFULLY taught a leason , just think: a bad teens= prisoners and killers of tomorow deal with them today and you wont in the future. well eny way most of the teens in this forum are well established and not trouble makers. i have had a venus fly trap dente from my bog pulled out and stollen, as well a s. leocophylia wile i was on vacation.
mad.gif

I have some plants that live out on my sweetie's fire escape - the only place that we have that gets any direct sun. It's not the greatest building/neighborhood, so I'm always paranoid that they'll get stolen, or at least poked and prodded at. So far, so good, though....*crossing fingers* I'd be super mad if that happened!!  
mad.gif

Do what I do.  Booby traps around my rare nepenthes.  Since I don't need to ever move them once potted, I use barbed fish hooks on thin wire surrounding the bottom of the lip of large black plastic pots.  You can't see them until they're embedded into your fingers, and they won't come out without tearing off flesh or you'll need to run with the three gallon or five gallon pot attached to your flesh.  I also have wires of my hanging baskets that come down invisibly to each pot that have fine barbs that are shredded across the wires.  They will slice and bleed your fingers if you even rub against them.  

One very important thing not to do is personally show off your collection to anyone.  I have other boobie traps that also work including a faulty drip system on automatic and the wiring for the system is NOT grounded.  Benches and supports are made of glavinized pipes that sit in water on cement floors.  Plants don't seem to mind electricity going through them, but people don't!  I was intended to fix this problem, but after an incident where a friend was gonna move a plant aside, and I warned him not to, he got a jolt!  When I need to move plants I simply turn off the drip system (inside the house) and its safe!  Even if you were to lean on the hanging basket wire of a hanging pot, you could get a mild shock!

Michael

RFG: is this legal?

Holy smokes! RFG gettin' all MacGyver!  
smile_m_32.gif
 Sounds quite effective, though!

Sound a little drastic to me...But Maybe usefull

wow i feel bad for anyone who gets near your plants, rfg have you fallen for the traps?, jimscott it is legal for the reason that you have the right to protect your property, you can even kill a burgler if he gets on your property. ofcourse you would go to court but the law would be on your side.

btw, i had to study basic law for a fifth grade exam.
smile_n_32.gif

Sounds good to me if there gunna steal your plants then let them have it i say
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

Maybe the electricity is what helps make your plants so nice. Pretty neat how it gives a shock to protect plants. LOL Like the idea of arbs and such too. I hope I don't have to get that extreme. So far so good. Helps to have a privacy fence. LOL Carful still though if a burgler gets really hurt and cocky may try to sue and have won on occasion, or so I hear. Even though they were the ones robbing the victom. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

Look at my photo
Do i look like im going to put you in the 3/4 prone position i would love to catch someone in my g/house.trouble i find is that there is no respect anymore from the younger generation.
i was baught up with violence and fighting and i think its crass and not needed but when i hear of innocent people doin there own thing and being target,ed,it makes me mad why cant a person do there own poop and be left alone?
violence and fear is not the answer but if you are feared who,s gunna mess??
blame soiety for this ,bye for now Julian

To get to my plants you will really have to almost break and enter. The inner fence is a barrier with warning signs posted everywhere (like tresspassers will be eaten!) and to get to my prize plants you'd have to break into the barrier. The water lines are everywhere, even so that even I can't access the plants. This is why I haven't posted pics of my fancier ampullarias, exotic rafflesiana and even the rarer stuff. I also have plants in some area like a large Euphorbia grandicornis longispina with bone hard spines up to ten inches long in every direction. Try and pull out the N. rowanaes that are growing among these buggers! No way!

As for the leaglity, well all I have to say is that the burglar must have done something to cause him to be electrocuted before falling on my giant Alluaudia species with arms in every direction. Or perhaps he was avoiding walking into a pitfall and walked blindly into a Didieria sp that didn't seem spiny. But beauty is also deceiving if you happen to take a short cut through shrubs of Pachypodium lamerei procerum. Even cats avoid walking over the wall of Opuntia microdasys in fear of getting these tine spines cover them into their pores of these nasty spines. Not to mention if they rub against any of the euphorbs from Socotranum that they'll get an infection similar to a brown recluse spider. Oh well, the high walls with evil plants on the inside usually keeps out even the birds that venture into it.

Have you ever tried to get those poisonous thorns of Crown of Thorns out from under your feet if you happen to jump the wall and land in a patch of these? Its not fun with no where to roll into safety after discovering that you landed on a pincushion in total darkness.

Michael

HI michael
Love your set up would love to have a visit 1 day keep up the good work
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

Back