What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher age

I just couldn't resist posting these two pictures highlighting pitchers from the same plant.
398bongso_age.JPG

N. bongso

398spath_age-med.JPG

N. spathulata

Nice bongso, I got my very first bongso today
smile.gif
That's quite a colour change from reddish orange(not sure, looks orange to me) to purplish black. Do aged pitchers still function and why do they change colour? But besides, that nice plants
smile.gif

Yes, it is reddish orange and they do still function, well not the brown one in the middle. I think they change color because they don't like to be dressed the same way every day. Probably has something to do with acclimating to light levels or "tanning".

Bongso makes quite a change doesnt it? i think mine are a bit more red when they first open up but they wind up looking thee same purple/black like yours. with N. bongso im not 100% convinced their color is linked to light. mine colors up even when a pitcher is hidden and not really exposed to light very well. heck i had a pitcher turn black/purple darn near 2 feet from just 2-32 watt four foot flourecents and being shaded by other Neps. while the color of some neps is definatly enviromentally linked, with bongso im wondering if its mainly genetics and age and not light intensity

Back