What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From lowland to highland

I have a truncata that i have as a windowsill plants as well as my two maximas that i have in the same pot one with upper pitchers and the other with lower pitchers.

my truncata is taking up so much space since its about 22"+ in diameter and i was thinking about growing it as a highlander outside my place under a shadecloth, along with my sanguinea and my copelandii, which get full sun. i forgot too that i put my sibuyanensis outside too under a shade cloth too.

the the truncata, sibu, and the two maximas will first be placed under a shadecloth to get sull direct afternoon sun to allow them to adjust for about a week or so. then the first one to move to full sun will be the maximas then the truncata then after the sibu.

for the sibu, i dont think i will have a problem with adjusting to full sun after about a month or so becauce for me, highlanders adjust better to outside conditions than lowlanders do. i hope this works but if anything i will take them back inside if there is really bad signs of stress!

My goal from this is to get a bigger, colorful pitchers and leaves, and a tougher plant overall!

834N_Truncata_1_1_-med.jpg

834N_Maxima_4_1_-med.jpg

834N_Sibuyanensis_2_1_.jpg

834N_Sibuyanensis_1_1_-med.jpg

Truncata will tolarate full sun.

But will it or any lowlander tolerate the temperature drop at night?

As far as I know Truncata can tolarate extreamly much. The lowland form can grow as highland and the highland as lowland(not extreme lowland)
I wouldnt think it would be a problem to put it outside.
If you are insecure then buy a small one to put outside.
They arent very expensive. I got my lowland truncata 15 cm for 20 EUR.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Sep. 11 2005,12:09)]Truncata will tolarate full sun.
u sure the lowland version? well for me bigger plants do better in full sun so that will be great then
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Sep. 11 2005,12:21)]But will it or any lowlander tolerate the temperature drop at night?
i think it would in my area! there is a thick marine layer or fog always @ night. but doesnt get too cold to get frost everyday in the night through out the mornig. once we got a ligh light frost in december about 2 years ago but that was it.

Im not sure if it will survive those low temps.(5-frost)
And you are right that its larger plant that will tolarate full sun
But you can always try.
Put it under the shade clothe first..

The safest way is to move them outdoors so that they get full sunlight in the morning or late afternoon when it isn't as intense. For me, it's a humidity issue not so much a light issue. All the plants you mentioned I grow outdoors with no problems except for the truncata lowland. After the plants adjust for a few weeks or so then you can expose them to full sunlight. I've found that the larger plants once adjusted to outdoor conditions take full sun easier than the little guys. For some plants full sun will turn pitchers and leaves maroon red until the plant adjusts. I have a sibuyanensis in full sun that is completely maroon right now. I have another hybrid I got from Tony that turned completely maroon red leaves and all and still is red. So expect some changes until your plant settles in. And it will slow down dramatically in winter. Where you live and this time of year, you shouldn't have many problems doing this. Just keep 'em watered when the Santa Ana winds come to So. Calif in October!

I only have one lowland truncata I tossed outdoors to experiment with. It hasn't done real well for me. It's my only plant so I can't really give a definitive answer. But I will say that it hasn't died and I suspect that it would do fine for you. I've kinda ignored my guy:(

Hope that helps.
Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Temperature drops for lowlanders aren't life threatening just as long as the day time temps get really really hot. I currently am growing N. northiana successfully with 80-90F in the day and 52F at night.

heres a pic of the lowlanders outside!

834N_Maximas_Sanguinea_Copelandii_In_Full_Sun_1_.jpg

here are the ones under shade!
834N_Rajah_Truncata_Lowland_Sibuyanensis_as_Highlanders_Under_Shade_1_.jpg

My truncata started suffering in my lowland greenhouse, but perked up when I moved it outside under shade cloth. I'm pretty sure it was a soil issue - too dense. I have since repotted and moved it back into the greenhouse.

Aren't those highlanders in your first pic - maxima, sanguinea and copelandii

the first pic, maximas are the only lowlanders. i want to try it outside as a highlander but in full sun. no leaf burn yet!

so here are some more pics of that windowsill maxima that i moved outside as a highlander a new pitcher that it produced outside!

834N_Maxima_7_1_-med.jpg

834N_Maxima_6_1_-med.jpg

here is another leaf that the truncata lowlander made while beeing outside. looks great and got some more color to it too!!!
smile.gif
also the maxima lowlander too with a great pic of the peristome! enjoy

849N_Maxima_10_1_.jpg

849N_Truncata_4_1_.jpg

849N_Truncata_3_1_.jpg

Back