What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mada?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just received some seeds labeled: N. mada. Is that short for N. madagascar? Could it be something else? How does one go about sprouting them. I am 0 for 4 with germinating Nepenths seeds - all mirabilis.

i'd sure it's short for N. madagascariensis (spelling?)

Note: I have since that thread switched from pure LFS to a 50/50 mix of perlite/vermiculite for seed germination media, I have far better results with it than LFS.

Max, thank you for the link!

Dustin, what would be the drawback of pure LFS?

Jim, please find some way to find out if the species is really N. madagascariensis !!! That species seems to be quite rare and difficult in cultivation, mostly because just a couple of clones are available around the world, and at least one of them seems almost impossible to be grown up to a serious size! If you can be sure that it's a madagascariensis, please don't loose the chance to give some good and fast growing specimens to some Nepenthes nursery with "in vitro" culture facilities !!

For anybody else who could be helpful in this sense, please note that with N. vieillardii (New Caledonia) and N. pervillei (Seychelles) the situations is unfortunatly the same.

And by the way, for the seeds use a very open mix and a lot of light. I would put humidity at the third place for importance after these two factors.
Marcello

Okay, this is embarrassing. The little plastic bag was labeled N. mada. The seeds were in fact D. filiformis sp. filiformis. I should have known that that small seeds were Drosera and filimentous ones would be Nepenthes. My inexperience is showing!
biggrin.gif

Jim, I do not know why the LFS is a drawback, but it is, I just seem to have much better luck with the ver./perlite mix....I believe it has to do with seed/media contact.

I used pure peat for several batches and if seeds were fresh I had great results.

Marcello, it depends on where you are. For Australians, being so close to New Caledonia, there are plenty of seed-grown N. vieillardii in cultivation here.

Hamish

Back