What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another "dutch" nepenthes

Hello everyone
I bought another Nepenthes at the city mall today. Any help identifying this hybrid would be nice since I have almost no clue whatsoever as to what its parentage is (I can take a guess at either parent). Sorry for the blurry pics, I used a camera I'm not used to.

445Pitcher.jpg

The pitchers are approximately 7" tall (to top of peristome), and are a rich dark purple covered in a waxy coating, as can be seen.

445Plant.jpg

The petioles ("leaves") are on average 12" long and 1.5" wide. The first thing they reminded me of was N. albomarginata or N. thorelli petioles (if what I've known as N. thorelli is the true one or not is unclear).

I'll let the pics do the rest of the explaining.

Cheers,

Amori

What was it labeled? That company has a tendancy to use the seed parent as the name of the plant so that might give you a first clue.

I am also inclined to say that albomarginata is one of the parents but I can not help beyond that

What did the label say you ask? The usual - Nepenthes alata (with a picture of N. x ventrata)
confused.gif

Cheers,

Amori

That is probably N.ventricosa x gracillima

I've found it's a cultivar bred my Matthew Soper, N. "Rebecca Soper". So much for the label! Tyfone was spot on.

Cheers,
Amori

Nice find Amori

Very pretty color. Probably was N. ramispina though. N. gracilima is very uncommon and ALOT of N. ramispina were labelled as that species for many years.

And for future reference the band in N. albomarginata, as well as the fuzzy leaves, stems and pitchers, will come through fairly noticeably in hybrids for several generations.
Tony

I'd be happy to take a cutting from it if/when you can spare one.

That is quite pretty.

Me too
biggrin.gif
! That is deffinately the new mass produced hybrid out of europe ventricosa x ramispina/gracillima. I really want one of theese. Hopefuly I'll see one somewhere soon.

Let me know if anyone can find this locally, (so. cal.).

Nepenthes in the Mall. Wow, only in the UK. I might start going to the mall with my wife more often if they start selling neps!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 12 2005,2:54)]Me too
biggrin.gif
!  That is deffinately the new mass produced hybrid out of europe ventricosa x ramispina/gracillima.  I really want one of theese.  Hopefuly I'll see one somewhere soon.
100% with you, man! That is really sweet looking. They can't label very well, but they sure have an eye for an attractive hybrid(most of the ventrata I have seen are a nice reddish hue).

Cheers,

Joe

Back