What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of whater!?

For all of my nepenthes i use the regular tap water! I live in the city next to L.A, Long Beach. The water here doesnt seem to harm my nepenthes at all and before you say or think anything let me just tell you from experience! i grew nepenthes about 2-3 years ago and i used the same method and they were fine. i started again in 2005 and i still use the same method for these. i know someone may say that the salt content in the water accumilates heavly @ the bottom of the pot especially on the saucer, and i am aware of that. so the first thing i do before i accutaly give the tap water to my nepenthes is i fill up a pitcher up with tap water and let it sit inside/outside for about 10-24 hrs. i do this so the chlorine in the water evaporates slowly. the flollowing day i use it. thats all. i really dont want to buy water such as distilled or reverse... so i just go with what i have! a filter would be nice but dont have the time to buy and install one.

Well, Nepenthes are particularly tolerant of certain minerals, if I remember right. But I think that buildup can become a problem over time... changing the soil every year or so is supposed to be enough to counteract that with reasonably clean water, I think. My first Nep survived on tap water, but was much happier when I switched to RO water for the sake of my sundews and Sarracenia.
~Joe

not all tap water is bad.

your right but it also depends on where you live

At my locality, tap water has a very high mineral content which makes me hesitant to use it on CPs.

One winter, after just 2 weeks of use, my warm air humidifier's heating element (which uses tap water) became encrusted by a thick layer of mineral deposits. After seeing that, I questioned whether I should be drinking the water!

Well, I don't drink the water here in so cal. Maybe the water is better in Long Beach. We have a water softener - which is probably worse for Neps as even regular plants don't like that - and an RO filter which my plants and I enjoy. Some Neps are probably more sensitive to water than others. I imagine lowlanders could take harder water and the ultra-highlanders would suffer the most. Anyone know for sure?

Back