What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that nep

I bought this nep from Wal-mart. They could not tell me the breed.

DCP1463.jpg

And Walmart!....:O
this might be interesting:p
now imagine if somehow walmart got into selling nepenthes for cheap! then that means that all the vendors might be introuble:p

Believe it or not, they where only $8. They had dozens of them. They sold out in only a few weeks. All of them where hanging down at like three feet.this was the smaller of the two I bought.

DCP01222.JPG

oh my good!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
then they are all gonna be introuble. may god have mercy on all of them! lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Sep. 15 2005,10:23)]oh my good!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  then they are all gonna be introuble.   may god have mercy on all of them!   lol
My thoughts exactly. 99.9%of the people out there have no idea about clean water and the other needs of Neps.

but imagine if they get species there and hybrid! it would be convinient because i live walking distance to walmart. i pretty sure that if they do then the vendors we know today have to lower their prices too to compete, even for the rare species! and if they do continue to sell this plant that you got and they see that they sell quick then they may into selling more diff. var.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ Sep. 16 2005,7:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Sep. 15 2005,10:23)]oh my good!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  then they are all gonna be introuble.   may god have mercy on all of them!   lol
My thoughts exactly. 99.9%of the people out there have no idea about clean water and the other needs of Neps.
i was actually talking about the vendors. but good point and i do feel sorry for the plants that go to the newbies for nepenthes!

I also agree about the vendors. On the internet $25 gets you a plant about one inch long. Wal-mart comes in with three footers for $8. It's about time.

looking forward to see lowii and hamata there for cheaper - lol:p

Bah, Walmart won't go beyond the ventrata and maybe a couple others. The vendors carry all the specialty species and the non-mass-produced hybrids. They have nothing to worry about. Walmart will never carry a N. hamata; I guarantee that! (*envisions rows of dead hamatas)

Capslock

lol... but who knows! walmart is already taking over the world!  HECK! they may decide to make one near YOUR place Capslock!
smile_n_32.gif

did you see that episode of south park? you must see it! it explains everything!
smile_n_32.gif

"Our pitcher plants are on sale!"

"Do you have other kinds?"

"Kinds? Of plants? Sure, we have flowers, vegetables..."

"No... other species..."

*blank look*

"Of pitcher... nevermind."

... that's the scenario I'm envisioning. Be glad there's one there at all... and feel sorry for all of the other ones that have now been killed by their owners.
smile.gif

Don't feel sorry.. the mass produced Nepenthes, Sarracenia, etc etc that sell dirt cheap at walmart, lowes etc etc introduce tons of people to CPs! If that is all they accomplish before the plant is dead then so be it. Some of those people will become interested enough to persue them and join the ranks of us obsessed nuts!

I bought those about four months ago and have not seen any since. When I was in the check out line, everyone was asking me what they where. When I told them that the plants eat bugs, two people got out of line to get one. Being in Florida (the bug capital of the world) I'm surprised everyone didn't get out of line for one. But like I said, they where sold out in a couple of weeks. I’m wondering why they have not brought in more.
twirl.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 16 2005,4:25)]Some of those people will become interested enough to persue them and join the ranks of us obsessed nuts!
thats right! >;-D

I doubt Walmart could keep any of the harder species/hybrids alive long enough to get that big. They would also have to compete for the more specialized plants which have a much more limited availability and higher price. They can do that with ventrata as it is widely available and mostly ignored by the specialty growers/sellers. I have seen ventricosa at Walmart and many of them died before they sold. But its a start! I'm sure there will be some other widely available, easy hybrids in the future, but don't expect to find a N. villosa there.

That is truly a impressive plant for $8..
Tony is spot-on. These are all tc clones and make pretty good lures for future fools-er, brethren and sisters into our hobby.

Cheers,

Joe

Back