What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love my sibuyanensis

Thanks a lot! As of right now, the open pitcher in the picture is about 3/4 of an inch tall, the new one is still inflating and is 1 inch tall, I'll be sure to get your guys a shot once it's open! The new one is hanging completely off the side of the pot and is suspended in the air and it seems to be doing quite nicely, but I'll definitly be sure to keep the moss trick in mind when the pitchers start getting a little bigger. Oh, and btw, the basal shoot pictured is in fact (I believe) 2 basal shoots.
smile.gif
I really love the medium this is growing in, at first I hated it but now I'm thinking about trying to mimick it!

thats acutually the mix i had but still use the toplayer of moss. please make sure to water this often since the mix is course and will dry up rather quickly!
cool.gif

as of right now my subuyanensis has gotten more ants and more sun! there is a notciable color change since the first pics. hey jess, the color looks diff. than the time you saw it!

Finally just opened today! It's still looking like it was produced by a somewhat stressed plant, but it's a definite improvement from before. Hopefully I can get some pictures soon. Some interesting colouring going on.

What conditions are you all growing your sibs in? Ive heard of people growing them highland, intermediate and even lowland. I have a big lowland tank and would love to grow this species but I dont know if it gets cool enough at nights.

well i was planning to grow this as a windowsill specimen but then thought that it wouldnt get cold @ night but then i decided to just put this outside as a higlander under shade cloth! works fine for me. did you see my sibu yet 123dhs?

Dees ess mine. Eet ees belly small (inch anna half), but belly sexee.

Nepenthessibuyanensis01-050920.jpg

I grow it in the highland area of my shadehouse (lowland area: one layer of 50 shade cloth, highland area: two layers. All other conditions are identical. Works like a charm up here!)

As much as I love my three sibs, I can't, however, refrain from observing that they are sloooooooooow to get in gear, growing pace-wise. After abusing them in a lowland tank for nine months, they're now finally starting to pitcher somewhat more nicely - after six months in their current environment.

But getting chubbier by the day!

oh! ok.  make sure to post the chubby!
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Tonyc posted (17 Sept)

I don't like to spoil your fun, but your pic looks like a hybrid N.
ventricosa as N. sibuyanensis has the distinguishing red edges
to the leaves.

Tamlin pls email Phill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fullfilled @ Sep. 29 2005,9:25)]Tonyc posted (17 Sept)

I don't like to spoil your fun, but your pic looks like a hybrid N.
ventricosa as N. sibuyanensis has the distinguishing red edges
to the leaves.

Tamlin pls email Phill
like mine fullfilled?

Fulfilled wrote of my 17th Sept pic:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't like to spoil your fun, but your pic looks like a hybrid N.ventricosa as N. sibuyanensis has the distinguishing red edges to the leaves.
'

Fulfilled, I suspect you're right, I've had niggling doubts about the ID of the plant myself. I've seen a couple of other plants that were distributed in Europe as sibt-28 at the same time and neither of them looked as they ought to either. Not tubby at all, too thin and waisted, and much too fast growing. Exactly what you would expect from a ventricosa x sibuyanensis cross.

I stand by my Sept 16th pic as being of a genuine sibuyanensis, though
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
T.

Sibs don't necessarily have the red leaf margins. Mine had them when it first arrived, but no new leaves have them under my care, probably due to lower light.

-D. Lybrand

All right, I'll bite and listen. Here are a few pictures of all three plants I received labeled "sibuyanensis".

All of them grow REALLY slow, and all of them have developed many dark nectar glands all over the plant by now.

So....what say you?

Nepenthessibuyanensis3-in-10509032.jpg

Nepenthessibuyanensis3-in-10509031.jpg

Nepenthessibuyanensis3-in-1050903.jpg

Nepenthessibuyanensis-03-0412121.jpg

Nepenthessibuyanensis02-050405.jpg

looks healthy to mee! but they are hybrids?

That's what I want to know. Do they lok like pure sibs to y'all?

cheers

Hans@it s*cks to be a newbie.....

Guess I'm not lucky with sibs. The first "baby sib" I bought was labeled "pervillei", later the vendor apologized for the mislabelling and told me it was a sib. Then I bought another one (the one with the juicy red pitcher) and was convinced I had the real thing.
In fact, people in other forums have been skeptical as to its true nature, too.

So, the only way I see for me to learn from it is to buy a REAL, ADULT sib (impulsive beast that I am, I just ordered one 10 minutes ago from a reliable source), put it next to the other three and see how they differ over the next few months.

If the three I have turn out to be hybrids, oh well, so be it. Fortunately I'm not a nep elitist, I grow each and every single one of them that chooses to show up on my doorstep!

Thanks for the edification, everyone, I certainly learned a lot from this, and I'll let you know how it works out (in about ten years, at the growing rate they're displaying now)

Back