What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia rienformis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Nov. 03 2005,10:48)]tricolor is easy to grow and darn near impossible to flower
smile_n_32.gif
i have yet to find a set of conditions where i cant get it to grow and flurish. i just cant get the SOB to flower.
Yeah, I get the stalks - but not the flowers! What's with that?

SO U. tricolor isn't much of a lowland plant I take it? Mine disappeared in the pot this summer when the temps in my lowland chamber got to 110F plus. Its now returning very nicely.
smile_n_32.gif

actually i had a bunch of U. tricolor doing nicly as a shallow aquatic in 95 degree day temps 80 degree nights. 110 might be a lil much though
smile_m_32.gif

Given the range cited in Taylor tricolor is pretty much a broad spectrum plant found in both low and high land conditoins. I shoot more for the intermediate since it would cover most growing conditions fine and I don't think anyone knows excatly where the majority of tricolor clones come from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Nov. 01 2005,10:42)]OK I have finnaly cracked how to grow U.reniformis so I think Il pipe in......
smile.gif

I have re-potted it into a large, 25 centimetre pot in August and I topped the soil with LFS. The soil used was peat dominated with a bit of sand added.
I then put it in shady conditions in my greenhouse, where it gets cool nights and I always keep the media wet.
And now, its produced a HUGE leaf, bigger then in a lot of pictures I see, its almost three times the size of all the others.
Its also sending up a lot more leaves too, and Im sure it will flower if I get the winter conditions right aswell.

So basiclly, they like their soil surface topped with LFS, they like wet conditions all the time and they like a LOT of room to spread.
Im basiclly growing it like a cool growing orchid now, except for it has its soil constantly wet, and its working extremely well
smile.gif
it generally does NOT like to be too wet, this causes it to rot. I do not stand in water, but water from above when the surface starts to dry, using sphagnum as an indicator of this as a surface dressing. they prefer an open compost, I use 50% perlite.

No no, I dont stand it in water.....

Also, Ive had the plant for like 2 years and its been kept geenrally wet untill now and it didnt rot.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Nov. 03 2005,4:14)]SO U. tricolor isn't much of a lowland plant I take it? Mine disappeared in the pot this summer when the temps in my lowland chamber got to 110F plus. Its now returning very nicely.
smile_n_32.gif
Mine didn't go underground but it didn't grow or expand at all, It was outside and we had 90's most of the summer. Now that it is inside and by a drafty window, in the low 60's it has doubled in size.

Back