What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattler_Mt, this is for you, so I hope your paying attention
smile_m_32.gif

Earlier this year, you posted a topic regarding your attempts to get this sucker to bloom. I shared your frustration, since I've tried many times to get this plant to bloom.

We have the same clone by the way, even though I didn't trade you the plant directly.

I read somewhere on the is forum that heat might be necessary to get this species to bloom, so that's what I did. I threw a small cutting into my Petiolaris Drosera chamber, and tonight I noticed 3 flower stalks!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Take a look: ( please note its not a D. tricolor, its U. tricolor)
tricolor.jpg

I certainly HOPE they don't abort. I'll keep you all posted and hope to show you some flowers before long.

The same method is being tried on the U. pubescens of mine.

-Homer

Getting the plant to produce flowerscapes is generally the easy part, preventing them from aborting is the tough bit.

I've actually got a scape on mine at the moment that has a single bud that is swelling nicely. I've never managed to get a potential flower this far along in 20 years. 3 others that arose at the same time have all aborted but this one looks like it might produce the goods.

congrats Homer, hope it blooms for you. i noticed the best growth out of mine when i placed a piece in the water right over the heat pad in the lowland nep chamber i had. but i tore down the tank before it had a chance to grow very much. now im seeing some of my best growth in some i turned loose in my dart frog tanks. so well see. thanks for the update.

Well, ok now to throw a 180 into it.. I just got the best growth of mine since things have cooled down. It sent 3" runners out in 3 directions, that now have leaves popping up.
They sit by a drafty patio door, house temp is 65-75 depending on normal heat or fire, by the door the soil temps are in the mid to upper 50's.

Gawd, its been my experiance with this species, well atleast the clone Homer and i have, is that there are extreamly few conditions that it will not do either well or great in. i have grown the darn thing a half dozen different ways and every pot did great. however the pain with this specis is not getting it to grow, its getting it to send up flower stalks that dont abort. so im not surprised yours is growing fine in cooler conditions. however i doubt you will get it to flower in those conditions.

Hi Homer,

Aside from wishing you success with your tricolor, I'd like to congratulate you on the appearance of your Drosera. Any more photos that you may have will be sure to go down well.

Greg

This is the first sign of it doing anything for me. I got it early to mid summer from BobZ. Until now, he coulda just sent me a picture of the clump and it pretty much would have been the same. I am just happy to see the bugger do anything.

Thanks Greg! There are pictures of some of my Drosera buried in the Sundew Threads and on my website.

Gawd_oOo, I believe I might have recieved this clone of U. tricolor from Bobz in the spring of 2003, although my recordkeeping does not confirm this. I'm happy as well to hear that your U. tricolor is thriving for you.
smile.gif

-Homer

I regularly get flowerscapes on my tricolor, but they never actually produce flowers, aborting every time.
confused.gif
  If ever the secret of getting them to flower is solved I would love to know about it.

Mine should open any day now.....

Back