What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong performers - pic included

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I do not grow many Utricularia. To be precise I only grow the following:
Utricularia calycifida 'Asenath Waite'
Utricularia gibba (aquatic)
Utricularia longifolia
Utricularia sandersonii
Utricularia tridentata

My favorite would be U. sandersonii. The reason is I do not think that there is any time that this plant does not have a bunch of flowers on it.
Usandersonii.jpg

Second would be U. calycifida 'Asenath Waite'. It seems to have at least one flower stalk most of the time.

U. tridentata seems to only flower once a year. It also makes an incredibly long flower stalk. I'm thinking of replacing this plant with a better performer in the flowering department.

Last is U. longifolia. I have 2 long flower stalks on the plant, but no flowers.

Now after all this you might be thinking, what is this person babbling about?
Well what I'm looking for are ideas on some Utricularia that flower almost year round, like U. sandersonii. I'm especially interested in blue flowers, or other colorful flowers (not white).
Does anyone grow U. biloba? How does this plant do? Other suggestions?

Maybe U. livida 'Beautiful Blue'?

utriculariamicrocalyx1.jpg

I thought a livida would be your star preformer...

U. calycifida "Yog Sothoth" is one of my best bloomers but does it in spurts. a few months of nothing than a few months of flowers than a few months of nothing again and so on. not as constant as sandersonii but definatly fairly regular. it has purplish pink flowers i think, havent looked at it in awhile. its the most free blooming of the half dozen calycifida cultivars that i grow by a long shot.

livida is decent but ive found it occationally sits and pouts for no apparent reason but its fairly reliable too.

bisquamata is a good one, the Betty's Bay variety has large flowers.

odorata and prehensilis hae been decent bloomers for me. odorata, if you can find it, is interesting cause the flower is 10 times or more larger than the lolons. both have yellow flowers

thats it off the top of my head for non white, if yah like yellow ive got another thats been blooming for 3 solid months now but i forget which it is but can look tonight

Hi,

Where does the name U. livida 'beautiful blue' come from? The picture seems to show the plant, that is grown as U. microcalyx in most collections. Did someone really register it as a cultivar?

regards,
Christian

I found it on Bob Z's plant finder.

I have a clone of U. dichotoma that seems to flower readily. It produces beautiful purple flowers with a patch of yellow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Christian Dietz @ Dec. 04 2005,2:59)]Hi,

Where does the name U. livida 'beautiful blue' come from? The picture seems to show the plant, that is grown as U. microcalyx in most collections. Did someone really register it as a cultivar?

regards,
Christian
I think it was on CPUK, that there was a big discussion about U. lividia 'Beautiful Blue' / U. microcalyx, the determining factor was how the trap looked, if I remember right it was about how many trigger hairs there are on the traps. Also again if I am remembering right, that the U. lividia 'Beautiful Blue' was most likely a hybrid. I think the link to the thread is listed on BobZ's site under U. microcalyx.

And the last I read it hadn't been officially named, but there was a push to start using that name to help stop the spread of the U. lividia 'Beautiful Blue' as U. microcalyx

Hi,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Dec. 25 2005,6:48)]And the last I read it hadn't been officially named, but there was a push to start using that name to help stop the spread of the U. lividia 'Beautiful Blue' as U. microcalyx

Why should this be any help? I think, it only causes more confusion. Is it sure, that this plant is U. livida, at all? The result of such namings is, that there are now two wrong labeled plants. If you rename plants like this, make sure, there is at least a valid cultivar description.

Christian

All I can say is check out the thread at CPUK..
I had nothing to do with any of it, was just trying to answer your question as to where the name came from.

Back