What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somethin' I noticed.....

Well, about a week after I got my U. livida, when it started to settle in, it started making smaller leaves than what it 'came' with. The leaves are still in the same shape as the larger ones, just smaller. They popped out within the mass of leaves, sorta intertwined. Mitch noticed it too with his newly accuired plants. Does anyone know why they do this? It's prolly cause it's still settling in, though I'm still not too sure.

But I'm not saying I'm worried 'bout my plants, I just wanna know why they do this.

-Ben

maybe stress, maybe because they are getting more light than the original plant. smaller lolons is no big deal aslong as your getting new growth

More light isn't a bad thing for these guys, right?

ive grown all mine under 2 pairs of 4 foot flourecents and they love it. im sure most could take full sun if kept wet enough but ive never tried and it would take some easing into. i *THINK* giving them real good light is part of the reason ive had good luck flowering a large number of species.

Well, I give my Utric about 82 watts of light (two 15 watt tubes, two 26 watt compacts), so I'm guessing that the plants are still settling in.
smile.gif

i grow my utrics under 440 watts.

I grow U. livida in pots with sarras in full sunlight in the greenhouse. They flower profusely and fill the pots. I have kept them more shaded in the past and although they still flower, the flowers don't last as long and there are not so many of them.

Well, after careful observation & "tracking" of several leaves, I have found that my plant sends up small leaves, and then with time, they grow larger rather fast.

-Ben

Back