What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandersonii 'blue'

Woot, I just noticed the beginning of a scape on my U. sandersonii 'blue'! We'll see if it actually develops into a full-blown flower or not. But I'm happy its finally doing something other than just sitting there!
smile.gif

P.S. Sorry JimScott, I beat you to it, from the same clone!

geeze Jim, everyone is getting into the act, you still havent flowered it? i happened to look at mine this morning, havent even glanced at it in over 2 months and guess what, its blooming!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

How does everyone make it bloom? Is there some sorta temp. drop at night or somethin?

I don't do anything particular. I just keep it under good light and sitting in a tray of water. I think perhaps it flowers when it can't expand through runners? Mine (first white, now blue) tried runners first, then sent up scapes.

Drosera, mine experiance a 10-20 degree drop at night depending on the time of year. dont know if thats why the blue form flowers regularly for me or not. good light is also probably a key as is getting bit pot bound.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as is getting bit pot bound.

I also have circumstantial evidence for this. My sandersonii flowered regularly when potbound, but stopped since being transplanted. All other conditions have been the same. On the positive side, it's filling up the larger pot and hopefully in another year, will start flowering again!

in a year? how big of a pot did you use? geez mine spreads like a weed and can, starting froma quarter sized plug, generally fill up a 4 inch pot with in 2 months. the larger the plug the faster it fills. heck i think a 2 inch plug could fill a 8 inch pot in under 16 weeks.

Aw... you guys make me sick!
smile_m_32.gif
In all seriousness, what I have been reading is that water-logged conditions, possibly varying the water level, with strong lighting, does the trick. Since mine are in transition right now, hopefull next year....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in a year? how big of a pot did you use? geez mine spreads like a weed and can, starting froma quarter sized plug, generally fill up a 4 inch pot with in 2 months. the larger the plug the faster it fills. heck i think a 2 inch plug could fill a 8 inch pot in under 16 weeks.

Wow, I think I may have a "slow growing" clone!

I transplanted it from a 2" to 6" pot about three months ago. Since then, it has steadily radiated outward ~1" from the plug, with the occasional lolon beyond that. It's doing well, just not spreading as quickly as your plants do--which may be a blessing in disguise, as I have absolutely no more room for CPs (not yet anyway....I'm working on another growrack).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In all seriousness, what I have been reading is that water-logged conditions, possibly varying the water level, with strong lighting, does the trick.

Varying the water level (i.e., letting the water level sink to nearly zero) seems to instigate my U.gibba to flower. So you may be onto something with sandersonii.....will have to give it a try if it becomes rootbound and still refuses to flower. I hope lighting isn't an issue with mine....it's 3" under 160W fluorescents--how much more more does it want!!!!
smile_m_32.gif

geez thats more light than im giving mine. mine is about 12 inches away from 4-four foot 32 watt T8's good light but not extream. but seems to be enough light to keep my VFT's and drosera compact and nicely colored. the growth rate difference must either be different clones or all the extra light your giving yours.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 05 2005,1:00)]In all seriousness, what I have been reading is that water-logged conditions, possibly varying the water level, with strong lighting, does the trick.
Yes, that method has worked for me when the plants are potbound.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]mine is about 12 inches away from 4-four foot 32 watt T8's good light but not extream. but seems to be enough light to keep my VFT's and drosera compact and nicely colored.

I'm jealous! Most of my plants are more demanding when it comes to light. Perhaps it's because I'm not providing them with the full spectrum so they need to be sat closer so that quantity makes up for lack of quality (I use cool whites exclusively). Probably a combination of factors. Overall, I'm very happy with how my CPs are doing, but recent talk of daylight and UV bulbs has made me interested in experimenting a bit. Do you use cool & warm bulbs?

at the moment yes, darn warm ones are a bit more expensive in T8's though, the cool whites i use are about a buck a piece, warm white i think were 5 but im not sure.

I've noticed the price difference too (and warm whites are harder to find here in new england).

T8s were brought out as an energy efficiant light. i think cool white bulbs are more energy efficiant than warm ones so it makes sence that the warm white bulbs are harder to find as it doesnt make sence to use an inefficiant bulb in an efficiant fixture now does it? course what do we care about that
smile_n_32.gif

Well, the first flower scape fully opened today! I am very pleased, and quite interested to note the differences in the flower forms. Not only are the ears less pronounced on the 'blue' as compared to the 'white' but the flower itself is about half the size of those on my 'white'! I was expecting, I suppose, a near-identical flower, in a slightly different shade, not so big a difference.
smile.gif

Does U. sandersonii come in any other colors/forms?

half sized? yah got a runt of a flower as they should be just about equal sized. another area where the flowers are different is how the spur is shaped on the back of the flower.

not sure of other forms, im only aware of the typical and blue forms

Runt, huh? Well, there's another scape forming, so we'll see if they get larger as they go. Maybe its just warming up. I'm just glad it is flowering at all!
smile.gif

well atleast the typical and blue forms i have are pretty close in terms of flower size. most of my Utrics will throw out a "runt" now and then. not sure why.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ Dec. 20 2005,1:39)]I'm just glad it is flowering at all!
smile.gif
Yeah,what she said!
smile_n_32.gif

Back