What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asenath Waite zombie flower

Utrics amaze me.

I recieved a U calcyfida "Asenath Waite" plug in the mail about two months ago. In the package, there was a flower stalk that had broken off. Attached to the stalk were two little unopened buds. I decided to stick the little stalk into some LFS for the heck of it... wouldn't ya know it, it not only started to produce a tiny little plantlet, but it also produced a flower! A zombie flower! Muuuhahahahaha!

(at least I don't have to worry about the flower burning on the light fixture)

- Mike

Utrics are such odd balls, i have a gibba started from a trap, just a trap that broke off. Personly i like utrics, genlisae, and any dewy plant

Hmmm, I'll have to try propagating some of my utrics from flower stalk.

I have had success propagating many from a single lolon, which i do to produce plugs for trading, as well as to produce plugs that are fairly moss-free.

Quick update:

The flower only lived for a few days before withering, however the plantlet growing from the flower 'stalk' appears to be getting larger & is very healthy.

I'm still new to the 'Unusual World of Utricularia', I wonder if a person could propagate a desirable flower attribute by plucking the whole scape and potting in LFS/mix? I suppose mutation is probably based more on the flower bud and less on the stolon or individual plant. Anyone have any experience with this?

- Mike

I have successfully propagated all the Utrics and Genlisea in my collection from a single lolon (the green leaf, photosynthetic part of the stolon). Just make sure you get a couple mm of the white stolon along with it, and cover the white part in wet peat, leaving the green part exposed.

I have not tried propagating from scapes, but i am not surprised it works.

Back