What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mold/slime/fungus problems

ok i got some issues with a white fluffy-filament type mold/fungus and a green slime. Now I ve read that the slime can be spooned off the top. But the other stuff needs a sulfer based fungicide. I also read that cinnamon can help with these issues. So i was wondering if garlic powder would helpout at all?? Cause garlic is high in sulfur.
What you guys think?
The biggest issue is i dont have the cash to buy over the counter fixes.

I once suggested the garlic elixir approach (something I've read but haven't used) to a Canadian gal. I'm not sure it worked for the intended purpose, but she isn't experiencing any troubles with either mythological creatures nor has her social life improved.

Seriouslly, I would overfill the pots and coax the slime to float, with a spoon or toothpick and then manually remove it. I'd be interested to know how garlic powder fares, though.

There's little you can do about the algae other than removing it manually and trying to prevent future outbreaks by mimimizing nutrients in the mix.

I use Captan to fight fungal infections, though there are other fungicides also shown to be effective (e.g., Physan-20, benomyl).  Captan is relatively cheap and can be found at a local nursery.  I can't comment on the efficacy of cinnamon or garlic as I haven't used them.

Your best bet is to prevent fungal or algal outbreaks--though some are "spontaneous," many are a symptom of improper growing conditions. Do you have enough air circulation, is the humidity too high, is the medium too wet, is excessive fertilizer getting into the mix, are your plants in good health? Take a look at your setup and make the necessary changes.

Good luck!
smile.gif

chloroplast
hmmmm.
Well I think my grow condictions are pretty good.  I have a small grow box (under 10 cubic ft) with 125w and about 8,000 lumens total and a 4" computer fan for air circulation(36cfm). I've only used (orchid)ferts about 3 months ago at a 1/4 strength. I do tend to keep things water logged on the utric's side. As far as plant health check for your self.
smile_m_32.gif

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=22454

What you think?

HAHA! It didn't cross my mind at the time that you are the same person posting in the terrarium forum! You indeed have VERY nice plants as I mentioned in the other forum.

It was never my intent to say you yourself have unhealthy plants and/or bad growing conditions--I just made a general comment that a good proportion of fungal infections are caused by non-optimal conditions such as excessive humidity, overly wet conditions, poor lighting and/or poor air circulation. It may not be "politically correct" to tell people that they could do better with their setup, but I speak my mind when it comes to plants! (And I appreciate it when people are equally frank with me.....we can only improve once we've realized something is wrong).

In any case, YOUR plants are obviously healthy and your conditions are good as well, so it must be one of those "spontaneous" problems that I mentioned in my first reply.

Hope you found the other info I posted to be somewhat helpful.

Its no problem at all man I didn't get offended. I just want to figure out how to get rid of the white fluffy junk on the soil surface. lol You gave me a few things to look at. I think maybe im keeping planting media too wet.(as far as fungus goes lol) But im not sure yet. It does seem to be dieing out a bit without me doing anything to it yet so i dont know. Ill leave it for now and see what happens.

Thx
Laterz

Back